• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Type R or Type S?

Hi All,

I have just recently join this forum and looking for some help/advise please.

I'm hoping to get myself a Civic Type R or the Type S (in silver mainly). I've realised that the Type S (with the colour coded silver trim body kit rather than the grey one) is not much more expensive than the TR, so it would make sense to get the TR for more of a car. There pros/cons with each car such as, insurance group, mpg, power etc. I have owned an EP3 Type R and enjoyed owning it, with such reliability from its engine. I cover around 100-120 miles per week.

Can anyone give me their opinion on this please?

Test drive both and go with what you get along with best.

They are both completely different cars though. The Type S does not have the seats, brakes and suspension from the Type R and that is before you get to the engine.

Type S is available with same diesel (2.2) or petrol (1.8,1.4) that the rest of the Civic range got and is circa 2.5 seconds slower to 60 than the Type R (more if you get the 1.4), which doesn't sound massive but the delivery is vastly different and the Type S although fun, does not feel like a performance car. It is just a 3 door version of the normal everyday Civic.

Our 1.8 Civic used to average about 38mpg on town driving, the CTR was about 28mpg. Insurance is a higher group on the CTR and road tax is about £100 a year more.

Horses for courses, go for whichever suits you best.

Thanks alot Loxy. That's the best info i've had. I've driven both and like the CTR more. As regards to the diesel Type S, i personally think its not worth it for me as i do not cover enough miles to make a noticeable amount of saving in fuel.

I will start looking for a CTR once I've sold my current car which will be in a couple of weeks hopefully. I've been missing that umph of the vtech now that i have a 1.6 petrol. Im hoping to get one with sat nav. How is the telephone system on the CTR?

I didn't find it too bad. It's a bit hit and miss with the names when using the voice commands but aren't they all...

Hi and welcome.
If you need any help with insurance ta all for either model then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be happy to try and help.
Regards,
Dan.

Back