• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Went to look at a EP3 Type R...

I went to look at a 2004/54 Type R last weekend and it drove really well etc. But the only problem I found with the car was that when you would come to a roundabout or an open junction (not to a complete halt), and left it in a high gear like 4th but at a very low speed, you would pull away and there was some sort of sound coming from the engine bay. It sounded like an heat shield/grinding sort of noise...any idea what that could be? thanks

Is it because you are pulling away in a high gear or does it do it throughout the whole gear range?

SikBoy - thanks for the reply, how do I fix the ivtec cover without removing it permanently.

Well its hard to get into gear when our stationary, you really have to whack it in and its difficult to get it out of reverse. My guess is that gearbox is gone..

My guess is that the clutch is fcuked, go find another unless the dealer/seller is willing to change it or take £5-600 off the asking price.

The gearbox on the EP3 is very strong, the only issue with it is that on some the 2nd gear syncro can go, the tell tale sign is that it crunches going into second at high revs. Dotty had his replaced on an EP3 of his years ago and the bill from Honda was £1200, you could probably half that at an independent garage.

My guess is that the clutch is fcuked, go find another unless the dealer/seller is willing to change it or take £5-600 off the asking price.

The gearbox on the EP3 is very strong, the only issue with it is that on some the 2nd gear syncro can go, the tell tale sign is that it crunches going into second at high revs. Dotty had his replaced on an EP3 of his years ago and the bill from Honda was £1200, you could probably half that at an independent garage.

So its not the gearbox? Also the biting point was very low on the car..

No, it's not the gearbox, the clutch is gone and needs changing. If it is driven for long with the clutch dragging then it will need a flywheel as well.

The only problem is, if the 2nd gear synchro has an issue, the knackered clutch will mask it, as it'll also cause crunching at high rpm. If you are dead set on this car I would insist the seller gets the clutch changed and you then drive it once the work is done, then do a couple gear changes at high rpm from 1st to 2nd... but the issue with this is that the clutch would be new so just bedding in and that won't do it any favours. :lol:

Depends on a lot of factors, some go at 50k miles, some go on over 100k miles. But you won't notice a tired clutch till you get a new one put in, but if it's at the point where it's really difficult to get in gear then it's definitely time to replace it.

Back