• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What oil, coolant, spark plugs, gearbox oil should i use to service my K20a?

As per the thread title, Tomorrows job is to drain the oils from my K20s gearbox and engine and fill the engine. I might change the spark plugs but that can be done later if unrated ones from the web are worth ordering :) (I've seen HKS ones but on a stock engine with just a K-Pro is it worth it?)

I also need to know what coolant to get (might as well get everything all at once)

also can anyone confirm for me how often oil changes should be done?

I'm also changing the Alternator belt while im at it, is there anything i should worry about or is it straight forward?

thanks.

Oil: fully synthetic 5w-30 (personal preference)
Filter: k20 filter, I usually go for blueprint oil filter off eBay, about £4. Does yours use a k20 filter as you have the filter extension?
Coolant: standard coolant
Spark plugs: ngk iridium
Gearbox oil: Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil

All are what I use and have had no problems.

Oil: fully synthetic 5w-30 (personal preference)
Filter: k20 filter, I usually go for blueprint oil filter off eBay, about £4. Does yours use a k20 filter as you have the filter extension?
Coolant: standard coolant
Spark plugs: ngk iridium
Gearbox oil: Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil

All are what I use and have had no problems.

when you say standard coolant... a TFs standard coolant is premium red OAT.... is this the same for the K20?

and prferance for the make of motor oil? I've always used castrol syntec or mobil before but never in a K20

the oil filter i dont know, I think it's different to OEM so im going to take it with me to the auto-factors

how often do the plugs need changing?

thanks Griffin

Dunno actually? Coolants Coolant ain't It lol, unless they specify between alu or steel. Tbh, I haven't needed to change my coolant yet :oops:

I always use castrol magnitec 5w-30 fully synthetic. Because its cheaper, and my local garage is the only place that sells the 1l bottles for the often topup. Nothing wrong with it though, done 80k with usual services using the same oil and my engine is pretty sweet.

Good thinking, I'm sure it will be a well sourced filter :)

Iridiums are 72k I think :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back