• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Which engine oil/transmission fluid for ep3 track car

Just getting my car ready for track guys. Newbie regarding track cars. With so many brands of oils out there, which engine oil and transmission fluid would you recommend ? The car is running standard power. With being a track car the oils will be changed regular I would imagine so would prefer to not buy the most expensive on the market. Any advice is appreciated.

Any decent 0w40, 5w40, 10w60 oil for an OEM manufacturer like Castrol Mobil 1 etc. My track car currently has Mobil 1 0w40 in it.

If you drive to and from track then once a year, although it's had three oil changes since September! :lol: Basically if you trailer the car I would change it more often as the drive there and back will burn off any fuel that gets into the sump.

This is what someone who works in the oil industry told me:

Biggest issue with track days is viscosity due to temporary fuel dilution and temperature (due to full throttle everywhere). Oil life will be affected as oxidation doubles with every 10C. Turbo cars without adequate cooling are especially susceptible.

For something that's road with a track day once every service, I see no issue with standard drains. Something like your DC5 I would probably look at shorter mileage, but then you probably don't do enough miles to make a difference and time based requirements come it (eg 1/yr). Plus you are driving it to a from the track and this is a great way to burn off fuel in the sump. I've seen 500mile samples from a S2000 race car hitting 9% fuel dilution.

Really the best way to look at oil life is a factor of engine on time, temperature and cold starts. This is what many algorithms of 'active' longlife servicing are based on.

Back