• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My Type-R #3 - Milano FN2

Hi all,

After owning an EP3, then a DC5 (for 7.5yrs!), I had a brief spell with a German marque - a BMW E46 M3; But it wasn't for me!..

An old photo of my much loved Teg:

eabd63c3023bcb68e27220142d5ea8a5.jpg

I wanted a k20 back in my life but liked a touch of refinement and toys to make longer journeys more comfortable, hence choosing the FN2 :)
Years ago I'd never have considered one thinking it was 'a soft type-r' funny how things change ;)

On to the car details.. I'm pretty sure it's been a forum users car as its been modified very tastefully IMO!

61k miles
Sat-Nav & HFT
Quaife LSD
Enkie 8 X 17" alloys
Goodyear Assy 2 225/45 Tyres
Stoptech Touring 300mm Front Brakes
Ferodo DS2500 Front Pads
Eibach Lowering Springs (-30mm??)
Whiteline adjustable ARBs (F&R)
Miltek Catback exhaust

Probably some other bits I've forgotten or don't know about...

What do you think? Only had it a few days so not many photos yet..

97418c4d5e452da4aeb06be2d6e2653b.png

c6484d2e63346369f20223e229dc3f96.png

a0d20b4efd8f192b05514bb80c6a08ff.jpg

4ddfdb27191315e38532b9b701a318b0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I thought it was too good to miss out on!

Well, after a few more days driving it I must say, I love it!
It handles unbelievably well and is a very nice place to be.

The car came with a rather tired looking gear gaitor, but this didn't matter as the seller included a new gaitor in with the sale, he just hadn't got round to fitting. I don't think its a Honda part but it matches the seats pretty well I thought.

Excuse the camera phone photos

2591d58ada11ba0f0eb9e280b726d36a.jpg

The car sounded lazy starting, so a new battery was in order:

84d6c6f1474c0ceeb50dbf793b435dbb.jpg

Next up up is to replace the tired looking mats, maybe gearknob too. I've also placed an order with Opie for oil, filter and spark plugs. Air filter is like new.

A few things I'd like to know, Loxy you may be of help..

Replacement brake pads for the stoptechs - is there a model I need? Supplier?
Are the front discs basically the same as OEM?
Are the calipers the same as the BBK? So only discs and caliper brackets required if I wanted to upsize?. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What didn't you like about the E46.

In a nutshell; less fun than a k20 car and way more expensive to run than a k20 car, which begs the question - what's the point!..

It was an awesome mile muncher for long/motorway journeys though.

How's the Miltek compared to standard? Is it much noisier?

It was fitted by a previous owner, so I haven't owned it with a standard system to compare..

It makes a deep noise which isn't overly obtrusive in the car, though I've found it attracts attention which isn't really to my liking..
This one seems to be noisier at low RPM, which is the opposite to what I was used to with the Teg! I think it's due to the low pitch of the noise.

According to the reciept, mine's a non-res system - not sure if that's quieter or louder than the resonated system?.

It was fitted by a previous owner, so I haven't owned it with a standard system to compare..

It makes a deep noise which isn't overly obtrusive in the car, though I've found it attracts attention which isn't really to my liking..
This one seems to be noisier at low RPM, which is the opposite to what I was used to with the Teg! I think it's due to the low pitch of the noise.

According to the reciept, mine's a non-res system - not sure if that's quieter or louder than the resonated system?.

Thanks. I'm tempted by an exhaust, standard is a bit too quiet but I wouldn't want to sound 17 again either (although they were good times!). I'll have to find some local CTRs with after market exhausts to listen.

Thanks. I'm tempted by an exhaust, standard is a bit too quiet but I wouldn't want to sound 17 again either (although they were good times!). I'll have to find some local CTRs with after market exhausts to listen.

If you were closer you'd be very welcome to have a listen. Maybe the resonated system would be ideal for you (and me!.), if you can find one.

I bought some new bits and pieces which made for a busy Saturday morning :)

d105dba15262d38346edc4cc6890ae97.jpg

New mats fitted:

00e74c394d2d6e4ea973b4b9a37572f2.jpg

My auxiliary belt was looking a bit tired and there was no evidence in the history of being changed. I also checked my pollen filter and a load of leaves and flies fell out, yuk! So new of both were purchased - Gates part number if it helps anybody:

a837f90a5dc7cefd5aede6cc8792fdb0.jpg

The above only came to £22!!

My trolley jack wouldn't fit under the car and I couldn't be bothered with driving it onto wood to gain some height, so I came across this bad boy in Cost-Co:

dc51fc20e8e583745959c707c6c13977.jpg

Back to the car, I was told the front antiroll bar was a Whiteline version - however it looks OEM to me, albeit with adjustable droplinks and SPC top camber bolt visible:

fc11af989cf563b5a6866bf08ab165f2.jpg

To change the auxiliary belt it's easier to remove the front offside wheel and the splash guard. Crankshaft pulley and AC pump then becomes visible, like this:

e518898393ab8acf7027403d4fa003fb.jpg

A quick map of the belt route, it's quite easy to get confused when the belt is removed:

0292729c1abd05fcbe99dd1dd4730d48.jpg

Then use a 14mm spanner (IIRC) and use another similar sized spanner to double-up for additional leverage, and pull towards you on the tensioner pulley, as seen here:

ed51ce6fa733a142e15834f4f18f855f.jpg

Simply slide the belt off the top pulley and remove. Fit new belt is simply the above in reverse, though can be a little bit fiddly. A friend can sometimes be off help to hold the belt on the crank and AC pulleys while you work on the above pulleys.

Hope that helps somebody :)

I've started working on the stone chips with a touch up pen. Milano is a superb looking colour, but why oh why did Honda use white primer! :(

Back