• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

First Track Day Advice

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum. I have just signed up for my first track day in my EP3 and looking for some tips on how to get the most out of it.

My EP3 is totally standard and I have never done a track day before. Having read some advice on various websites I have signed on to a novice only day which is sessioned. I tried to book some tuition but it’s sold out.

Any general advice would be appreciated, but my current questions are;
1. How much tyre tread do you use on a track day? I ask, as I have 4mm tread on the front tyres and I was worried I would go below the legal limit before I drive home?
2. Any recommendations on an app to use to log my time on track?
3. Should I take out track day insurance? If so any recommendations on who to use?

1. What tyres are they? Some will wear harder than others. With it being your first track day, you're unlikely to wear from 4mm to 1.6mm so I'd say you should be fine.
2. Don't use an app or time yourself, concentrate on enjoying yourself and being safe, not only yourself but other track day participants too.
3. That's a personal decision. I used to take it out but I don't any more. Track day insurance generally does not cover recovery home or 3rd party damage, so you'll only be covered to the value of repair/replacement of your car, usually less a hefty excess.

3. is more "could you afford to live without the car or replace/repair without"?

How is third-party damage worked out then, every person for themselves?

How is third-party damage worked out then, every person for themselves?

That's a huge can of worms that has been argued about on Pistonheads and track day forums for years.

Generally, the marshals can tell either by seeing an incident or using the circuit CCTV, if someone is clearly at fault and they'd have to stump up. But the legality behind it all is quite complex the last I looked into it.

I remember a story where someone in a Clio wrote off an R8, the R8 guy took him to court and he got his money back, at like £8 a week because the Clio drivers income wasn't a lot.

Best thing I can suggest is don't try and be fast, just go steady, get used to being out on the track.

A sessioned day is perfect for your first outing as you won't be out longer than you need to be while you get used to it.

Best thing I can suggest is don't try and be fast, just go steady, get used to being out on the track.

A sessioned day is perfect for your first outing as you won't be out longer than you need to be while you get used to it.
This.

It's also worth speaking to the organisers on the day about tuition, often there will be no shows so you may be able to steal someone's slot.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm running, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, I know this isn't a good tyre for the track but I will use these up first then look for something more suitable, assuming I want to go back time and time again!

I know what you mean about the app. I was thinking I would use it more as a memento, rather than live tracking to improve my time. I have found one but it costs £40 and I'm running on a budget.

With regards track day insurance, I had heard that if you have an accident you have to pay for any damage you do to the circuit, and this actually includes gravel traps (I know right, how can you damage a gravel trap!), but if you need recovery or force them to close the circuit for an extended length of time you get charged for it, I thought track day insurance would cover this. I will be driving like a Sunday driver on my first time out, so I'm pretty sure I won't be leaving the track backwards on fire. If somebody hits my car, I have kind of accepted there’s nothing I can do about it, its a risk you take. This is my daily, so a little worried.

I think there is a waiting list I can join for the track tuition, but I would have to check.

OK so next question is regarding tools/spares. I am not going to hire a garage so whatever I take will be in the boot during all my time on track so I want to keep it a minimum. So I was just planning to take a foot pump (as I have heard you may need to adjust tyre pressures during the day), make sure I have locking wheel nut and tyre iron, masking tape, screw driver and adjustable spanner, water and oil. That’s it. Am I going under prepared?

That's a decent list to have with you. Tyre pressures will go up if you get a lot of heat into the tyres.

Honestly driving on track is often safer than driving on the road, don't be scared, you'll be fine.

My first day is coming up shortly too, in regards to hiring helmets do they tend to be open faced?
Anglesey / Javelin if that helps.

Will be buying my own if I enjoy this session but I need smaller glasses as I can't wear them with closed faced ones.

My first day is coming up shortly too, in regards to hiring helmets do they tend to be open faced?
Anglesey / Javelin if that helps.

Will be buying my own if I enjoy this session but I need smaller glasses as I can't wear them with closed faced ones.

If you do end up hiring one they're usually open faced.

Cheers, I'm doing my first day and if all goes well I'll get my own.

Didn't want to cheap out with a £40-50 one however, may aswell do it properly.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm running, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, I know this isn't a good tyre for the track but I will use these up first then look for something more suitable, assuming I want to go back time and time again!

I know what you mean about the app. I was thinking I would use it more as a memento, rather than live tracking to improve my time. I have found one but it costs £40 and I'm running on a budget.

With regards track day insurance, I had heard that if you have an accident you have to pay for any damage you do to the circuit, and this actually includes gravel traps (I know right, how can you damage a gravel trap!), but if you need recovery or force them to close the circuit for an extended length of time you get charged for it, I thought track day insurance would cover this. I will be driving like a Sunday driver on my first time out, so I'm pretty sure I won't be leaving the track backwards on fire. If somebody hits my car, I have kind of accepted there’s nothing I can do about it, its a risk you take. This is my daily, so a little worried.

I think there is a waiting list I can join for the track tuition, but I would have to check.

OK so next question is regarding tools/spares. I am not going to hire a garage so whatever I take will be in the boot during all my time on track so I want to keep it a minimum. So I was just planning to take a foot pump (as I have heard you may need to adjust tyre pressures during the day), make sure I have locking wheel nut and tyre iron, masking tape, screw driver and adjustable spanner, water and oil. That’s it. Am I going under prepared?

I had the same tyres (Potenza RE050A) for my last track day and they performed very well.

1, 4mm will be plenty and being on the RE050a is a decent road tyre that can cope with track use.
2, Harry's lap timer is a decent app. But I wouldn't concentrate on lap times but more on driving, correct lines and technique. If there's an instructor on site it might be worth having a half hour session with him.
3, I've never bothered with track day insurance. Just be mindful and drive within your limits and be aware of others around you. If someone wants to get past, move over as soon as it's safe to do so. If you're quicker than someone else, be patient and wait until it's safe to overtake.
There's no trophies at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and as for tools and spares. I wouldn't bother with too much. Something to check tyre pressures with and fluids. If something breaks, a bag of tools won't help when you need a new part.
Before going give the car the once over. If there's any doubt in a component, replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers guys, interesting to hear your thoughts on the RE050A. I am not a fan of them on the road so I didn't hold much hope on the track.

Cheers for the app info. I like to have a record of things so a lap timer would be good.

Back