• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

SK-R's NHB EP3 Journal

My bonnet cable bit snapped off as I was having the car mapped which was typical! I bought a metal kit thing which screws into the cable end, looks the part and was only about £20, plus saved an hour or so trying to fit the whole cable.

Cars going to be mint when you're finished with it! Nice work.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Fair point, apologies, I saw the bit just before and then remembered my own issue, wanted to make sure you weren't in the same situation:

It's all good mate, the Mechanic gave me a call today and then sent me a quick sound clip of it, day and night!!! So quiet and refined now haha. I'll do a video of it later on.

She will take more than 5L of pre mixed antifreeze mate. Obviously you can top up with water but you'll be slightly short with just the Honda antifreeze. Just a heads up dude

Ahh I see, is that more than 5L excluding the expansion tank or? I will most likely get another 5L and top up with that.

Be good to see this done when we have our next get together, keep an eye out for the sussex & surrey thread

It will be together for sure, will keep an eye out for the thread :smt023

My bonnet cable bit snapped off as I was having the car mapped which was typical! I bought a metal kit thing which screws into the cable end, looks the part and was only about £20, plus saved an hour or so trying to fit the whole cable.

Cars going to be mint when you're finished with it! Nice work.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Do you have a link to that mate? I ll fit the new unit I have now and then keep that for future reference.
I believe the plastic bit mainly snaps due to the mechanism out the front being too gunky/corroded. I've given mine a serious clean and have fitted new springs inside it so now the bonnet opens very easily with a satisfying click, so hopefully this handle won't break again.

And thank you, she is slowly but surely getting there.

Ahh I see, is that more than 5L excluding the expansion tank or? I will most likely get another 5L and top up with that.

The figures quoted are something like 5.1L for a simple change, and 7 or so when the system is "dry" (I guess that includes all the channels in the engine itself)

The figures quoted are something like 5.1L for a simple change, and 7 or so when the system is "dry" (I guess that includes all the channels in the engine itself)
Yeah when I've just done a fluid change without removing any parts just the 5L bottle was fine, needed extra when we changed the rad and thermostat though.

Do you have a link to that mate? I ll fit the new unit I have now and then keep that for future reference.
I believe the plastic bit mainly snaps due to the mechanism out the front being too gunky/corroded. I've given mine a serious clean and have fitted new springs inside it so now the bonnet opens very easily with a satisfying click, so hopefully this handle won't break again.

Iv had one in the past:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Ci...932906?hash=item239747fd6a:g:yQIAAOSwDTNatQ5T

This one is the same but more expensive but has better pictures to show you how it works:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Ci...124424&hash=item3620607f8e:g:yGYAAOSwBT9ZqB1x

Yeah when I've just done a fluid change without removing any parts just the 5L bottle was fine, needed extra when we changed the rad and thermostat though.

I ll be draining as much as I can but currently from what I can see, the expansion tank is empty or has very little, so to be safe I ll grab some extra. I ll check on ebay to see if they sell 1-2L bottles instead.

Ahh I see, that's great actually I ll keep it on watchlist for the future. Hows your car coming along?

Got a few things to update you guys on, don't have as many pics this time so will try to fill in with words instead.

So ideally I would of liked to fit the suspension, exhaust and bushes myself, but I do not have a ramp and tools to compress the springs so it went off to a local garage to get that done.

When the front LCA's were removed I asked the garage to let me know before they remove the bushes that were shot so I can give them a clean and a lick of paint.

This is what they looked like straight off the car:

aSXVg95h.jpg

Wire brushed them down to what was seemed reasonable level, cleaned them up with a thinner and they were ready for paint. For these I went with 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of paint and 2 coats of lacquer.

qC5fAVCh.jpg

And done:

rlfjJ0gh.jpg

Unfortunately I cannot get them smoother than that, as they would need sandblasting and an acid bath for that, then ideally powder coating but that is extra cost that I can't see being justified for a piece of metal underneath the car... They are very thick and heavy so plenty of metal in there, the rust was all surface based and this is more to preserve them than a full on restoration of the underside.

Then I went to the garage to drop them off so the new bushes can go on, and while there I managed to snap a few pictures.

W9nDpRUh.jpg

NFWM2dgh.jpg

LtU6ZUDh.jpg

XWWgEvHh.jpg

6ajEk9oh.jpg

Really need to address the surface rust around the components as it really lets the car down imo, but all with due time. The underside is going to be an a$$ to do but it's a necessary evil. I am glad the actual shell is in good state.

Here is the car out of the garage:

dXvDG2ph.jpg

tssk6UNh.jpg

I asked them to lower it 30mm all around, but apparently this is 30mm at the rear and 28 or so at the front. Don't know about you but the front looks a lot higher to me, so I will be adjusting that once I get it home. Also yes I know the forum sticker is peeling, I've ordered internal ones as my pressure washer likes to destroy things like that lol.

Anyway, got it home and as I parked up I noticed this heresy on the sideskirts:

kf4Xx8Yh.jpg

NGRNu6hh.jpg

Not sure when that is from but a week prior when I was polishing it, it definitely wasn't there.... Ah well, just my luck. So off they come:

njx4GmRh.jpg

Wtf are bird feathers doing there...

qlgJszWh.jpg

For those of you who have not undertaken such job, be careful with the removal as it's pretty delicate. You need to do the following:

1. Remove the two self tapping screws at he front (many guides mention 3, but the 3rd one which is at the bottom right, in no way connects to the side skirt so not sure why you need that off)
2. Remove the 2 clips underneath the side skirt that hold the 2 plastic brackets to the chassi
3. Slide the skirt forwards (this takes a bit of force if you have never taken it off) and it should pop out. You will hear a loud click/bang but don't worry you haven't broken anything.

Then to remove the clips off the sill, what you don't want to do is grab them with pliers and pull like the idiot I was... :lol:

The correct way of doing it is simply rotating them anti-clockwise (even by hand) and then pull slowly. They should gently come loose and pop out. Heres pics:

eJjMsKah.jpg

8POU46Fh.jpg

So the skirts are off, the sills will be cleaned up, sanded and given a lick of paint underneath as I can see some rust starting to take place mainly towards the rear arch. Not sure how I am going to go about repairing the skirts yet, I hope they will go back to shape with a bit of heating in the damaged spots, as it looks like it was caused during in-proper placement of a jack... But thankfully has not cracked the skirt, only dented it. Will update more on that as I progress further.

Now here is a bit of an odd issue, so you might remember that I bought a new wiper for the rear windscreen. Well there was two issues there when I installed it.

1. The spray nozzle seemed different from the original, and wasn't spraying properly. I cleaned it up and squashed it a bit to get it to spray higher and in a more uniform "mist" style, which sort of worked.
2. The wiper does not seem to hold itself in place, I am pretty sure I am missing a plastic piece there, as when I left the arm the wiper can simply slide off. here are a few pics that can hopefully explain what I mean:

ZAgLOHih.jpg

J9YqPBeh.jpg

And here is the custom nozzle :D

wgxXiVLh.jpg

Anyone know if I am missing a piece? Ideally a picture of how yours sit would be great, I know the nozzle is different so I can find that from a breakers, but he wiper must somehow lock in place and not fall out as easily...

Any help with the above would get you a pint and my thanks :smt023

Did the wiper 'snap in' to the arm? Think it's literally just those two pieces. I need to replace all three of mine actually.

Did the wiper 'snap in' to the arm? Think it's literally just those two pieces. I need to replace all three of mine actually.

No it doesn't snap in. It slots into a place but it is very loose, to the point where if I let go before I place it down on the window, it will just fall off. Hence why I think I am missing a plastic piece somewhere in between them... :(

I've googled images of it and I can't see any extra pieces, I'll have a gander at mine on the car when I'm home, if I remember to unless anyone else can do it sooner.

I had a very quick look at it on Dave's rear wiper yesterday, didn't remember to look for extra pieces but the gap between the blade and the arm was certainly smaller than on yours.

:(

Could you take it off and take a picture of the lock mechanism so I can compare? I am pretty sure something is missing for me, I ll see if the scrappy have any EP's so I can snatch one.

:(

Could you take it off and take a picture of the lock mechanism so I can compare? I am pretty sure something is missing for me, I ll see if the scrappy have any EP's so I can snatch one.
I'll see what I can do chap, got Bob at work with me today and finish in ten minutes. See if I can remember to do it :lol:

Anyone know if I am missing a piece? Ideally a picture of how yours sit would be great, I know the nozzle is different so I can find that from a breakers, but he wiper must somehow lock in place and not fall out as easily...

Any help with the above would get you a pint and my thanks :smt023

This photo might help. Definitely looks like a small piece has snapped off yours.

Thank you mate, looks like I will need to find an arm. You've got a beer on me when I see you :smt023
No worries. Meant to check earlier in the week but forgot.

Washed my car this morning and remembered while doing it to take a photo for you.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

No worries. Meant to check earlier in the week but forgot.

Washed my car this morning and remembered while doing it to take a photo for you.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
I managed to forget within ten minutes of saying I'd do it, also forgot to take something home from work at the same time, too many distractions :rolleyes::picardfp:

Back