• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 EP3 Steering - Self Centre "Issue"?

Took the car for a nice long drive today and noticed that the steering wheel doesnt' seem to self-centre after letting go of it. It could be a light turn or a full 90 degree makes no difference.

Is this "normal" and another trait of EP3s or is it an issue? My DC2 never had this and after some google searches, it looks like it could be either of these:

1. Balljoints
2. Alignment (which does need to get done as I have new suspension but still)
3. PS Fluid

I will be getting 2 and 3 done, but is it worth doing the joints too?

Cheers

Ah yes it is, my bad lol. I ll get joints done before my alignment at TGM and see how it goes from there.

Sometimes regreasing the rack can help as they can dry up over time. My old ep3 always seemed to steer better in wet weather which I guess was because the rain water was lubricating the rack.

My old ep3 always seemed to steer better in wet weather which I guess was because the rain water was lubricating the rack.

Probably the reduced tyre grip letting the steering do it's thing more effectively. You'd never get that much water hitting the rack components let alone lube it.

Usually alignment dude, think castor specifically if memory serves me (which we know it doesn't :lol: ).

Hi, you don't say if its lowered, this can affect the self centering the most or if its an earlier EP3 which has an inherent issue because of the electric power steering which can be made worse by lowering - rack raiser? :cool:

Usually alignment dude, think castor specifically if memory serves me (which we know it doesn't :lol: ).

Yea that's coming soon, I ll check the balljoints tomorrow to see their state before I order new ones.

Hi, you don't say if its lowered, this can affect the self centering the most or if its an earlier EP3 which has an inherent issue because of the electric power steering which can be made worse by lowering - rack raiser? :cool:

It has, but only about 25-30mm dude, potentially even less. I thought up to 40mm you didn't need a rack raiser? I ll get one if it will sort this.

Edit: Another thing I was going to mention, is that when going full lock in either direction and then trying to rotate it in the opposite direction straight away, there is a few seconds of VERY stiff force feedback and then it goes loose again. This is when the car is still or parking somewhere.

I have a feeling that it could be the electronic module that does the power steering? I ll get it's ECU read and see if there are any faults.

Yea that's coming soon, I ll check the balljoints tomorrow to see their state before I order new ones.

Yeah, do any part swapping before having the geo done, ballache otherwise having it done multiple times.

Not sure if it worth poking at the track rod ends, make sure they're not siezed.

It has, but only about 25-30mm dude, potentially even less. I thought up to 40mm you didn't need a rack raiser? I ll get one if it will sort this.

Edit: Another thing I was going to mention, is that when going full lock in either direction and then trying to rotate it in the opposite direction straight away, there is a few seconds of VERY stiff force feedback and then it goes loose again. This is when the car is still or parking somewhere.

I have a feeling that it could be the electronic module that does the power steering? I ll get it's ECU read and see if there are any faults.

Don't forget to lubricate the rack slider.....

I also have a similar issue. Mines an early prefacelift though.
It’s lowered on Eibach pro. I have a Camber Kit set up by TGM.

Mine has been sorted since the FRSU at TGM last week, but it's still not like my previous cars. I guess it's an EP3 trait :)

Back