• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Uneven Front Brake Pad Wear (Brembo Pads with EBC Blade Discs)

Hi All,

Previous owner of FN2 had EBC BSD Blade Discs with EBC Redstuff pads.

I changed the front pads 3k miles ago to standard Brembo pads (from Eurocarparts), and at the same time, had fitted a New Nissin Caliper as previous caliper was sticking.

3k miles of normal and fast road driving, and outer pad in the new caliper is quite badly worn (see picture). It also seems to have worn a little more from the bottom than top.

My question is whether standard Brembo pads are too 'soft' for the EBC BSD blade discs and thus wearing prematurely?
Also, should I just buy Redstuff for these discs?

PS: The alignment of the car appears good, and tyres wear evenly.

I checked the drivers side pads today and they are wearing normally. Thus, there is definitely uneven breakpad wear on the side with the new caliper.
As far as I know the caliper is not sticking.

What could cause one side to wear much more quicker than the other?

Was it just the caliper changed or the carrier too?

It came with the carrier too. I brought it brand new from Cox Motorsports: https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/hon...ype-r-fn2-front-left-passenger-brake-caliper/

I do have an update...I took the caliper off last week and checked the slider pins. The bottom one was moving OK, but when pushed in, it was not 'springing' out like the other pins were. Thus, I think the pad may have been constantly making contact with the disc and wearing prematurely.

I actually got the pin from my old carrier and fitted in place, and it was springing back properly. I will check the wear later this week (I have already done 320 miles) to check pads are wearing correctly.

I have redstuff pads again now, and they seem to be working great, and I am perceiving that there is less 'drag' when accelerating, suggesting the slider pin might have been the cause.

It's strange how this would happen on a new caliper even though the pin was clean and greased.

The "springing" behaviour comes from air pressure in the boot and I suspect it's not directly a problem. Using too much grease can block pin travel beyond a particular point though. It's also semi-hard to detect because if the grease is retained in the hole rather than at the tip of the pin it might look like there's nothing wrong. What it will lead to though is wear on only one of the two pads.

The "springing" behaviour comes from air pressure in the boot and I suspect it's not directly a problem. Using too much grease can block pin travel beyond a particular point though. It's also semi-hard to detect because if the grease is retained in the hole rather than at the tip of the pin it might look like there's nothing wrong. What it will lead to though is wear on only one of the two pads.

I agree. You see the air pocket in the rubber cover as it bulges when pressing in. This tells you all is well.

I will certainly check this on all future brake pad changes. I am glad I only had £24 Brembo pads and not £80 redstuff pads when this problem was happening!

Interestingly, redstuff pads feel much better than the normal Brembo pads. The brembo pads felt a bit like cheese with the EBC blade discs.

Back