• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Cap-less Fuel System

I am happy generally with the cap-less filler. One quick question: for the first few months I owned the car, inserting the filler nozzle, pushing the flap back resulted in a quite satisfying 'hiss'. Presumably vacuum from the fuel drawn from the tank by the pump. As time went on this effect became less frequent and now there is never any vacuum release to be heard.

Looking at the flap it seems it is actually vented so I have no idea where the seal I was breaking is / was... Anyone else noted this change or has something further down the 'pipe' broken on my car?

Mine occasionally blows fuel back when I put the fuel nozzle in, but that’s from the nozzle, not the tank. I always assumed that the tank had a slight pressure and not a vacuum?

Yeah you're right David, first few months always a hiss and once or twice I did get covered in fuel - but doesn't happen at all now...

Literally have no idea!!?

I find it's more likely to hiss the lower the fuel level is when I fill up - I guess because there's more air than fuel in the tank. :lol:

Mine never 'hisses' at all ever. No warnings on dash etc so it's really not an issue.... I just wonder what's going on! ?

Also I still feel the TA system is crap on these cars ..... (different topic sorry)

Not filled up many times yet but last time i'd run the tank low, possibly 5 miles beyond 0 range. That made it hiss, which is the first time I've noticed that.

Not filled up many times yet but last time i'd run the tank low, possibly 5 miles beyond 0 range. That made it hiss, which is the first time I've noticed that.

I've not "dared" to run it that low, think I got as low down as 12 miles left according to the fuel/range menu. anyone else gone further than 5 beyond 0 miles? never good to run it that low as I guess there's more chance of gunk deposits but wonder how much of a buffer is set by Honda to the reality of really running out of fuel.

I've not "dared" to run it that low, think I got as low down as 12 miles left according to the fuel/range menu. anyone else gone further than 5 beyond 0 miles? never good to run it that low as I guess there's more chance of gunk deposits but wonder how much of a buffer is set by Honda to the reality of really running out of fuel.
Yeah, it was a mistake and not something I usually come close to doing. I left for work, was too late to fill up, needed to do about 25 miles with a range of something a little less than that.

Got down to 1 when Honda was paying for my fuel one time

Some people on the internet suggest there might be about a gallon left at range zero, so 20+ miles i suppose. my car is new so can't imagine there's much gunk in the tank if that's such a thing. Still, not recommended.

I've got caught out on a motorway where a service station was out of fuel. Ran a good 15 miles over empty and it was absolutely fine. I run Shell V-Power only which is one of the cleanest fuels available. Unlikely with a clean fuel and so little miles that any gunk is sitting in the tank.not something that should be done regularly, but there is definitely reserve fuel available if you get into trouble.

I did approx 5 miles on 0 range in both a FN2 and an E46 M3 so they certainly have a bit of a reserve. I wouldn’t recommend it though, it was very stressful!

Mine does that as well, and I assumed there was a vacuum in the tank. Next fill, and I got mine over a year ago, I will give it a closer check. Always makes a hissing noise.

Back