Home
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch/Syncromesh issue, please help.

Thanked 7,994 Times in 5,576 Posts

Sounds very much like the clutch as others have said. New clutch and clutch fluid and it will feel like a new car!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    Mine was a PITA going from 3rd to 4th, particularly at high rpm. I used to have to let the revs drop to get it in gear. That, coupled with a near floor biting point hinted at the clutch. Sure enough, new three piece clutch kit and fluid, the gearshift is sublime Make sure an oem honda 3 piece clutch kit is used along with MTF3 honda transmission fluid. If of course it is the clutch!
    I thought the biting point will get higher if the clutch worn out. Am I wrong?

Thanked 7,994 Times in 5,576 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by laser View Post
    I thought the biting point will get higher if the clutch worn out. Am I wrong?
    The friction disc very rarely wears out on these as there is relatively low torque to burn them out. The pressure plate goes sloppy meaning the bite point is low and in extreme cases you can't fully disengage the clutch and you get grinding going into reverse and first as both shafts are still in play in the box.

That sounds exactly like the issues i'm having, in the morning when i put the clutch down the car can judder and clunk almost like the clutch disengages in quite an aggressive fashion when it's cold. Also when i put it into reverse it's not exactly smooth and quite clunky. I can see strap marks on the holes in the seats where the previous owner clearly attached a harness, it has drilled and slatted discs all round so my theory is he tracked the car and even though it's only done 50k he's put a lot of wear on the clutch.

We'll find out when i get it replaced, the garaged wanted it back (200 miles away) to replace the friction disc but we settled on a 200.00 payment and them paying the VAT to get Honda in Swindon to put in a whole new clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier1357 View Post
    That sounds exactly like the issues i'm having, in the morning when i put the clutch down the car can judder and clunk almost like the clutch disengages in quite an aggressive fashion when it's cold. Also when i put it into reverse it's not exactly smooth and quite clunky. I can see strap marks on the holes in the seats where the previous owner clearly attached a harness, it has drilled and slatted discs all round so my theory is he tracked the car and even though it's only done 50k he's put a lot of wear on the clutch.

We'll find out when i get it replaced, the garaged wanted it back (200 miles away) to replace the friction disc but we settled on a 200.00 payment and them paying the VAT to get Honda in Swindon to put in a whole new clutch.
    Sounds like your "track" day car thought is the right one.
    Mines 2011 and at 49K miles the clutch & gear change are nice a smooth even at near red line changes.
    Have had gear box oil changed but clutch fluid looks like it needs doing again, clutch is original as far as i know.
    Wilmo
    FN2 CTR GT & 1.8 Si in Milano Red

Yeah exactly mines the opposite, it makes me feel like i can't drive! It is possible to get a smooth change but it's 1 in a million. The fact that the biting point is very near the floor makes it very difficult and often results in revving over into the next gear or jumping into the next gear

I only hope the clutch change will solve the issue as the finance is 5 years