• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Torn between options

I am currently in the process of looking for a EP3, but I'm also considering an FN2 due to the general lack of availability of the EP3 due to their age.

I know that people look at the FN2 less favourably, due to weight and not much change in engine but I'd consider one.

A Type S hasn't been completely ruled out, but I'm trying to override my sensible side which is always trying to take over!

Any tips or suggestions?

I'm particularly confused about service history, I'm right in saying a Type R should be serviced every 12.5k miles OR yearly?

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

If it's for road then I wouldn't get too hung up on the fn2 being a heavier car etc. The ep3 is more nimble and less crashy but you can improve the fn2 ride. The ep3 interior is more basic. Depends on what's important to you. I've owned both and like each for different reasons. Prefer the ep3, but that's for my own specific reasons.

If it's for road then I wouldn't get too hung up on the fn2 being a heavier car etc. The ep3 is more nimble and less crashy but you can improve the fn2 ride. The ep3 interior is more basic. Depends on what's important to you. I've owned both and like each for different reasons. Prefer the ep3, but that's for my own specific reasons.
It's definitely more for road, it's just scratching an itch of never having had a Type R despite being a fan of Honda cars.

I'll read through the guides etc!

What were your reasons for the EP3?

A bit more nimble/more raw. No balancer shafts and more mod friendly. The fn2 steering is better.

I'm with flashy, try them both and see which one does it for you.

Never even considered an EP3 because I had a 2010 1.8 Si and fancied the faster version.

However, you might be surprised how quick a 1.8 TypeS feels.

The TypeR is pushing out about the same BHP as the 1.8 until the Vtec cuts in and you get the other 60 BHP on tap.

I'm with flashy, try them both and see which one does it for you.

Never even considered an EP3 because I had a 2010 1.8 Si and fancied the faster version.

However, you might be surprised how quick a 1.8 TypeS feels.

The TypeR is pushing out about the same BHP as the 1.8 until the Vtec cuts in and you get the other 60 BHP on tap.
Thanks, some test drives coming up methinks!

Keep us posted.

The service interval as Chris says is 12.5k or yearly for the later FN2 years, mines 2011 on that regime.
My dealer said that it was changed at some point, earlier ones had lower mileage limit -- check the service book that you get with the car to see what it says.

Keep us posted.

The service interval as Chris says is 12.5k or yearly for the later FN2 years, mines 2011 on that regime.
My dealer said that it was changed at some point, earlier ones had lower mileage limit -- check the service book that you get with the car to see what it says.
I will do.

I only ask as its very rare to find one that has been serviced completely to the book! How much leeway do you give?

As long as it has a service at least every year and the mileage between services is not more than a 1000 over the quoted service book intervals I would not worry too much.
I was lucky to find a 2011 car with 34k on the clock 2 years ago that had been Honda serviced every year regardless of the small mileages.

If other things have been done like brake fluid, clutch fluid, gear box oil, spark plugs, valves at the required intervals then it would suggest a well maintained car.
Also check the MOT history online to see how that reads with the service intervals and any advisories.

As long as it has a service at least every year and the mileage between services is not more than a 1000 over the quoted service book intervals I would not worry too much.
I was lucky to find a 2011 car with 34k on the clock 2 years ago that had been Honda serviced every year regardless of the small mileages.

If other things have been done like brake fluid, clutch fluid, gear box oil, spark plugs, valves at the required intervals then it would suggest a well maintained car.
Also check the MOT history online to see how that reads with the service intervals and any advisories.
Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure if I was being overly strict by expecting a car to be serviced properly. I guess cars like that are few and far between. Sounds like you found a peach!

Yes I'll check the MOT history!

Back