Home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: 5.1 vs 5.3 final drive - road car (no motorways)

  1. #1
    Tanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    150
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Default 5.1 vs 5.3 final drive - road car (no motorways)

    Hi all,

    As title really. I've searched and cannot find an answer even though there are numerous final drive threads already. Hopefully this will be a useful reference for others in the same boat as me.

    So my EP3 is a purely road car and will be used at weekends only for short A road and B road blats. No other significant changes - intake and catback. Will leave stock manifold and cat in to keep it all legal and quiet. Considering a K100 too to get the most out of the breathing and midrange.

    My question is when the box is opened to put my Quaife diff in I am considering a 5.1 or 5.3 final drive in. As the car won;t be used on the motorways 6th gear revs aren't really an issue but at the same time I don;t want to go deaf or cry at the discomfort of silly high revs all the time. I was going to get a 5.1 FD but concerned the difference will not be great from the stock 4.7 FD. Should I get a Spoon (Honda) 5.3 instead?

    Looking forward to your input.

  2. #2
    simon25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanked 476 Times in 277 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanny View Post
    Hi all,

    As title really. I've searched and cannot find an answer even though there are numerous final drive threads already. Hopefully this will be a useful reference for others in the same boat as me.

    So my EP3 is a purely road car and will be used at weekends only for short A road and B road blats. No other significant changes - intake and catback. Will leave stock manifold and cat in to keep it all legal and quiet. Considering a K100 too to get the most out of the breathing and midrange.

    My question is when the box is opened to put my Quaife diff in I am considering a 5.1 or 5.3 final drive in. As the car won;t be used on the motorways 6th gear revs aren't really an issue but at the same time I don;t want to go deaf or cry at the discomfort of silly high revs all the time. I was going to get a 5.1 FD but concerned the difference will not be great from the stock 4.7 FD. Should I get a Spoon (Honda) 5.3 instead?

    Looking forward to your input.
    I have a spoon 5.3 and my car is used daily and even been round Europe. It sits at about 4000rpm at 70mph which is fine noise wise.

  3. #3
    Mebz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    43
    Thanked 37 Times in 13 Posts

    Default

    I've got a 5.8 in mine with full solid fab system including 3 inch exhaust.

    It's at 4.5k revs at 70mph.

    It's not a daily but drove it to Belgium this year and noise wise it's fine. Can easily make a Bluetooth phone call in it.

  4. #4
    Tanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    150
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simon25 View Post
    I have a spoon 5.3 and my car is used daily and even been round Europe. It sits at about 4000rpm at 70mph which is fine noise wise.
    Hi Simon - this is great to hear. My old EK4 sat at exactly 4000rpm in 5th at 70mph, and I used that daily on the motorway for 5+ years (stock gearing!).

    Ok now that I've found someone who actually runs a 5.3 FD how would you describe this addition? Is it worth doing on an otherwise stock car? Will I notice a vast difference in acceleration? I'm hoping for instant response and for it to pull hard no matter what the rpm. Thanks mate

  5. #5
    Tanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    150
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mebz View Post
    I've got a 5.8 in mine with full solid fab system including 3 inch exhaust.

    It's at 4.5k revs at 70mph.

    It's not a daily but drove it to Belgium this year and noise wise it's fine. Can easily make a Bluetooth phone call in it.
    Hi Mebz. Good man! No half measures here I see! 5.8 must be savage on the roads. How would you describe the change?

  6. #6
    Tanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    150
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    I have an idea - I could either get the 5.1 FD and a JDM shorter 4th gear...

    or get a 5.3 FD and a longer 6th!

  7. #7
    simon25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanked 476 Times in 277 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanny View Post
    Hi Simon - this is great to hear. My old EK4 sat at exactly 4000rpm in 5th at 70mph, and I used that daily on the motorway for 5+ years (stock gearing!).

    Ok now that I've found someone who actually runs a 5.3 FD how would you describe this addition? Is it worth doing on an otherwise stock car? Will I notice a vast difference in acceleration? I'm hoping for instant response and for it to pull hard no matter what the rpm. Thanks mate
    I had mine done when having LSD and new clutch fitted on a stock car apart from CAI. It was either these or k100, decided to go with the above and it was a noticeable difference in acceleration and well worth doing. I eventually got k100 fitted and that transformed the car again. Not sure where you are but if your close enough you are welcome to drive mine to see what it's like.

    Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to simon25 For This Useful Post:

    Ricki1985 (16-11-2019)

  9. #8
    Tanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    150
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simon25 View Post
    I had mine done when having LSD and new clutch fitted on a stock car apart from CAI. It was either these or k100, decided to go with the above and it was a noticeable difference in acceleration and well worth doing. I eventually got k100 fitted and that transformed the car again. Not sure where you are but if your close enough you are welcome to drive mine to see what it's like.

    Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
    You're very kind but I live miles away in Lancashire! Thank you though. Who knows. Maybe one day there'll be a meet up and we can meet. I have a
    Quaife to put in soon so wanted to up the performance whilst box open. Does it feel torquier?

  10. #9
    simon25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanked 476 Times in 277 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanny View Post
    You're very kind but I live miles away in Lancashire! Thank you though. Who knows. Maybe one day there'll be a meet up and we can meet. I have a
    Quaife to put in soon so wanted to up the performance whilst box open. Does it feel torquier?
    Definitely, you won't be disappointed. I was meant to get a 5.1 fitted but supplier let me down and said I could have the spoon for the same price. Are you getting the work done at Grinspeed?

    Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Mebz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    43
    Thanked 37 Times in 13 Posts

    Default

    Where in Lancashire are you?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •