• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Civic 8th gen 1.8

Hello everyone,

I have an ep3 so the next model up is a bit different to me, my partner would like the 1.8 version and we went to look at one today, the clutch was right near the floor, does that mean it is on its way out? Also anything to look out for when buying one. I’m sure if the clutch is near the floor on an ep3 it needs changing.

She wants the dark blue in 1.8, I think the 1.4 is going to be slow as shi* so said to her to get a 1.8.

Is there a buyers guide, I have tried to search but obviously this forum is more type r orientated :twisted:

Any help would be great!

Yeah clutch is likely knacked. Pressure plate isn't allowing the friction disk to disengage.

The 1.8 is pretty solid, usual things that are in the CTR FN2 buying guide really.

Maintenance schedule up to date is a good indicator and make sure things like plugs and fuel filter haven't been scrimped on. Decent tyres all round are also a good measure of how well it has been looked after. They're on a timing chain too so all tickety boo on that front.

Just watch out for minor front end taps, the grille attaches to the headlights on fragile AF clips that once broken mean new headlights. If they're broken the whole grille will push in and generally wobble about.

Higher mileage will also mean shocks, brakes and bushes. I fell for this with my last CTR. The engine and rest of the car were solid, but clutch, flywheel, shocks, brakes and bushes set me over £3k lighter and turned, "A cheap car," bloody expensive.

Ah wow OK nice one, thank you Loxy.

Going over a speed bump there was a very prominent rub of what sounded like a dry bush or something. We left it in the end as too many things were saying no to me. He started it before we got there etc.

I will have a read of the FN2 Guide, and thanks for confirmation on the clutch, grille actually seemed fine on it but 2 tyres were needed on the back end. All round no no for me haha!

I had a 1.8 FN2 before the R and it was a good car. Pokey enough and other than the usual wear/tear stuff like brakes, it never let me down.

I have both 1.8 Si and FN2.
The 1.8 was so good that I bought the fast one on the back of it.
Commuted 10,000 miles in a year in it and never let me down, now had it for 16,000 (out of 54k). The last 6k done mostly by the wife in last 2 years
Have only replaced tyres, brakes and a battery.
Have put in some LED bulbs to tart it up a bit.

Ah yeah, I went to look and it was not as advertised at all, the inside stunk of flood damage, battery was dead, it hadn’t moved in years so god knows how it got through MOT

No oil in it, no water the list just carried on so safe to say we left it

I actually bought a VW Golf for her as she had a change of heart a week after looking at mentioned civic, tried my best to get her off the idea haha but it has been very reliable and is super clean with only 60,000 on it it’s the round shape 2006

Back