Home

Thread: Have I caused lasting damage?

Default Have I caused lasting damage?

Hi All,

About a week ago I changed the oil and filter in my EP3, I bought Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5w40 and a Honda filter thinking I was doing a good thing. Afterwards I just noticed that the engine felt and sounded rough, I ordered a bottle of Millers NT+ and a Hamp synergy filter straight away for peace of mind. I am a bit worried now though because given that Fuchs is supposed to be a high quality fully synthetic oil, even though the engine was not feeling too happy, I decided it should be okay for me to continue driving in a manner that puts a big smile on my face for the week! Having swapped the oil out this weekend for the Millers and feeling how creamy smooth the engine is now, it does concern me that I might have put significant wear on my engine.
    Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Fuchs is decent, not sure what the issue was
    R#3- Cosmic Grey 06 plate Prem EP3
    R#2- Nighthawk Black FN2 GT, R#1- Satin Silver Prem EP3

Well that's what I thought but my car hated it.

Thanked 8,447 Times in 5,285 Posts

Just use Shell Helix and save your money.

I have used Fuch's Titan Pro S 5w-40 many times in the first 3-4 years of owning my EP3. Never had an issue.

Never had an issue using cheaper oil like Shell Helix 5w-40 in the last 7-8 years either tbh.

As Chris above said, save your money and not waste it on over expensive oil. Pretty much all fully synthetic 5w-40 oil is the same.

Well, I had been using Castrol Edge and I would have agreed with you before this weekend but having put the Millers nt+ in, I can honestly say the difference is night and day, the engine feels and sounds so smooth now. When sat in the car at idle, you can barely feel it's running and that smoothness continues right through the rev range, it was not like that before.

I'm thinking I might just get a kit and run a compression test though to see if I've put any wear on my piston rings, I do feel like I've lost a pit of power somewhere.