• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Wing Mirror Replacement - Facelift

Lottie

The Duchess
Tools/Equipment required:
Allen Key
8mm socket or spanner
Flat head screwdriver
Phillips screwdriver
Long nosed pliers
Replacement Wing Mirror (£187.02 at time of writing)
Door Panel plastic studs (not necessary but advisable to have in case of breakages)

1. Use the flat head screwdriver to lever the plastic armrest cover off, there is a small gap where the screw driver will fit to give extra leverage.
NOTE: in the picture you will see just the screwdriver, when you actually do this cover the screwdriver in a cloth to avoid scratches to the plastic.

wingmirror1.jpg

2. Using the allen key, locate a small hole behind the handle, with force push towards you and the cover will pop off.

wingmirror2.jpg

3. Remove x4 screws as shown on the picture (2 are hidden quite deeply and require a long screwdriver to reach them).

wingmirror3.jpg

4. Next remove the “tweeter” cover, this requires pulling to release the clips, unfortunately as you can see from the picture we managed to snap the middle clip as it would not release. Easily fixed by a dab of superglue or of course you can replace this.

wingmirror4.jpg

5. The door panel should now be free to move away from the door, work your way around the edge of the plastic panel popping the clips, this is where you may have problems, a few clips were left in the door panel instead of coming away with it (see highlighted in picture below). You can try and remove these without damage with long nosed pliers, the likelyhood is you will damage them doing this and it would be worth while having a few spares. Once all the clips are off, lift up the door panel to clear the door lock. It should now be free (except the connectors for the wing mirror and electric windows etc) so don’t pull away completely.

wingmirror5.jpg

6. Undo the connector for the electric windows (to allow easier access).

wingmirror6.jpg

7. Undo the connector for the mirror. There is also a small clip holding the wire to the door, remove this also.

wingmirror7.jpg

8. Undo the 3 nuts holding the mirror in place with the 8mm socket (it is worth getting a second person to hold the mirror at this point to avoid it dropping and damaging the side of the car).

wingmirror8.jpg

9. The mirror should now be free to remove.

10. Install the new mirror and connect the mirror connector.

11. Test that the indicator and mirror heater are working.

12. Replace all the other parts in the reverse order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellant guide, not having a guide made taking just the door card off a mision.

:D :D

do you need to do all this if you only need to replace the glass? i need to replace the glass on mine and not the whole mirror.

do you need to do all this if you only need to replace the glass? i need to replace the glass on mine and not the whole mirror.

Just done this myself (didn't grab any pictures), i know Hamish won't need this now but for future reference for others

1. Get a flat bladed screwdriver and wrap in a cloth
2. Put the top of the wing mirror in so you can get your screwdriver behind the bottom of the mirror
3. Push on the screwdriver using the edge of the mirror to pivot on to unclip the bottom of the mirror
4. Pull the mirror down to unclip from the top.
5. on the side closest to the door, you'll have two wires you'll need to disconnect (remember which is top and bottom)
6. Connect the two wires to the new mirror
7. Switch the wing mirror heater on to check its working ok (i find its always wise to check things as you go along, this can be done at the end if you're confident)
8. Slide the top of the mirror into position
9. Carefully push the bottom two clips into position (i found pushing on the top of the mirror made it easier)
10. Operate the wing mirror controls to adjust the mirror to correct position (also aids to make sure nothing was damaged)

At the time of writing a new mirror is circa £38

Here's a picture of the back on the mirror i took off with some info to help with the instructions above
P1020132.jpg

Very useful guide, had to change my wing mirror not long ago after some drunken idiot decided he would kick it off when passing my car:mad:

I wish the person that decided to remove mine had read this first, door card is cracked and the handle has 2 thick scratches on it - so I'll need to replace that -after- I fix the problem with the electric window / central locking.

Back