• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Transmission noise whilst engine braking

Dont wanna be a big head but its the pinion shaft bearing - common fault on these boxes. Honda Swindon wont admint it, but it is.

I recently removed and engine and rebuilt a gear box - which i have forsale ! which had the same noise - on inspection the bearing was to blame totally - as te outer shell was dented and there was play, causing the spokes of the cog gear to basically bounce up and down creating a whining noise from mis-alignment

How do you replace it?

The pinion shaft essentially cannot be repaired in an easy way, you need to dismantle the box and replace both end bearings (not cheap either – around £80.00!!)

While your there your better off paying for any worn gear forks or synchro to be replaced.

No selling till you reach the criteria, read the classified rules.

Admin.

Hey Guys,

I'm going to drop the car in after my holiday to an dealership. Thats about 3 weeks time :-(

I think i'm going to mention this pinion shaft bearing, see what they think. I'm finding it quite hard to just live with the noise.

Does anyone else on the forum hear this, esp if the car is a slightly older i.e. 05 non-premier model? I understand they should be mechanically the same, however it is possible that manufacturing processes could've change or some parts could be sourced elsewhere.

Cheers for all your help guys. Looking back my first post was a massive essay, just needed to get across all facts in one go. Its good to see other people have exactly the same noise (NickCTR's vid for example), makes me think there might be a solution. Still waiting to hear from a friend who has a facelift 04 to see if it has the noise.

Cancel the holiday and drop the car off tomorrow :lol:

I hope you find the cause and get it sorted, the noise is driving me nuts too.

Good idea Nick!! Was going to hand it in this week before I go on hols, however my 2nd opinion garage is about a hours drive away. Its where I got it from. Means I will be into work so late, might as well take the day off. Then as hols are approaching, I need to do loads of stuff before I go!!

Here's a question, if cosmic_chi changed gearbox twice, wouldn't this pinion shaft bearing get replaced?? Is it a design flaw of the box??

I might take a sound recording next time I got for a drive, you can set it as your ringtone or something!!

Maybe they just changed the cogs and not the pinion shaft, or perhaps there was a big batch of gearboxes with this problem and his was unknowingly replaced with one of them.

That's a negatory on the ringtone, I hardly hear the noise now thanks to my N1 :)

The only issue is my manufacturers warranty runs out on the 2nd sept, and the extended start then... I would expect the extended would fix this for free. Its not wear and tear, and I brought the problem to the first dealearship a month or so ago.

sounds like a characteristic mate,have heard loads of ep`s with this noise,inc my old one and another techs at work.both had bearings and clutch(inc release bearing) and both stayed the same...although the high pitched sqwauk mine used to make when pulling away did disappear when the release bearing was replaced...definately get it in before 3 years are up mate if possible for a total check over.less hassle.

Nick gave me this URL
http://www.4x4now.com/gt0699.htm
It mentions the pinion shaft on decelloration making a noise. I'll mention it to the garage, perhaps print it out and bring it along :)

Thanks for the post milanoK, more evidence the better. Does sound like a design flaw, however Nick's prev one didnt make the noise?!

Cheers guys!!

That's right, my Jan 02 registered EP3 with 77k never made the noise.

Maybe it's the diff itself that's the problem, good excuse to upgrade :D

unfortunately I think this is an actual flaw due to the design of the box, all I can say is save up to upgrade your diff, when you have the work done get the pinion shaft bearing swapped and change the clutch thrust bearing too!

I just done this fix on a mates motor (weekend job) and its not making one noise, infact it feels kind of tight :D

I will upload some pics soon to prove about the bearing -

try emailing honda customer service - I figure if enough people get together they would log a recall....

maybe the mods have an opinion on this?

Chrisukserv, any chance of some photos? I'm off to the garage on Monday and was going to print off some quotes from here to point them towards the correct bearing.

Cheers

Hi guys,
I've given it to another dealership who think its the pressure plate springs vibrating. Honda said they will replace it if this is the case, however if this is not the fault I have to pay for labour which will come to around £400.

Don't know what to do, its been done under manufacturers warranty. Is it there responsibility to fix it regardless? They said because it is a wear and tear item I would have to pay if it doesn't fix it, but they will pay if it is at fault? Where do I stand legally?

They want to know tomorrow whether to start working or not

Ideas???

Talking crap, it's their job to find the fault and fix it, not yours. Explain this to them, though I am sure they already know, they are just being difficult.

Talking crap, it's their job to find the fault and fix it, not yours. Explain this to them, though I am sure they already know, they are just being difficult.

I rang them to explain and they said that the clutch is a wear and tear part so honda won't cover the labour if nothing is found? I'm going to have a word again tomorrow. I bought it from there 2 months ago, and mentioned the noise the first weekend I had it.

Some people, cosmic chi, have had the clutch and flywheel replaced. Would there pressure plate bearings be replaced at the same time?

Back