• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Transmission noise whilst engine braking

Thanks for all your prompt replies guys, its much appreciated!!

I will let you know what happens tomorrow. I can't see myself taking the risk to be honest, especially since cosmic has his clutch replaced with no fix!!

Hey all,

Quick update. They have decided to record the sound and send it to hondas factory to work out what it could be. I rang honda customer support who agree that the garage are able to charge for labour if they misdiagnose!

Thinking of letting them make their recordings then I will pick up the car as I might have to wait a while for a response.

Will keep you all posted...

Last edited by a moderator:
hi new to this whole thing! got myself a type r a few weeks ago ep3 version and have noticed this noise you seem to be talking about!! very irriatating but only happens now and then! any news on what it is yet????
thanks in advance

I'm waiting to hear back from the garage, they've got a engineer comming to have a listen. Hope to hear more this week

Update: the garage have replaced the clutch and have told me that the noise still exists. Think I might have escaped paying for labour as they found the springs to have some play in them.

I'm going to leave it now. They said they had a good look around the transmission whilst it was apart and couldn't find anything.

If anyone is reading this in a few months time and have definately had it fixed, feel free to PM me. I'm not going to bring it back again, but would be nice to know what it is.

Thanks for listening everyone, think ill go introduce myself now...

I will be asking Unit 8 for a diagnosis on the 13th of October, as I'm sure they will mention the noise when tuning the engine.

forget about it, you could fit a brand new gearbox and it could well still do it. Loads of ctr's do it, it never gets worse....turn the stereo up.

My pre-facelift never did it...I fitted a facelift flywheel and it started immediately. Go figure..............

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem on my ep3 Ctr 04,someone knows what needs to be change to the sound disappears?Sory for my bad English..

To me is a lot of money, right someone knows exactly what that sound makes,difrencial or gears or something??

Before getting my 05 non premier I drove a premier and it did this noise. I then bought mine and have had it 7 months and it does the same every now and again. Pretty sure its just a characteristic as i'm sure it would of gone bang by now?!

mine does that!!
how much does it cost to get that changed??
and what is the danger or what could happen if its not changed???

At normal mechanic here in Croatia would cost me about 450 euros, but I'm not sure whether the problem only in the bearings or the differential bad?

I've had a Premier from new and it's never made this noise. 40000 miles on the clock and not a problem.

Don't think mines the bearing then. Went out on 40min run this morning and pressed on clutch whilst running and no sound. Made that rasping sound whilst accelerating in 3rd so prob think it may be some sort of heat shield vibrating as it doesn't do it all the time. i.e. sometimes when breaking and going down the gears and sometimes when accelerating like this morning.

Back