• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help! Heater Problem

Started the car this morning only to find the blowers were on the blink. They worked perfectly fine last night but totally dead thismorning. So had to drive to work contiunually stopping to scrape both the inside and the outside of the windscreen so i could see. Any one any ideas on what the fault could be? What fuese's should i be checking? how do i check if a relay is faulty? any help appriciated would like to get this sorted before i finish work
Its a Ep3 and when the engines warm you still get hot air once the engine is warm but just no fan.
Cheers for any help
So far Fuse and relay fine
Blower motor and resister fine

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a diagram on the fusebox cover which will tell you which ones are for the blowers.

Checked the fuse thats fine,checked all the ones under the dash as a few were to be checked against the manuel for their purpose and they were all fine but no the engin management light is on but that should clear hopefully after a few runs. any other ideas?

Here's nosman's pic;

heaterr2.jpg

Thanks Neily, was in a bit of a rush as boss was walking in room so posted it quick before linking correctly !!:D

Right so the connector that the wires goes into at the bottom of the motor on the little dome bit is the resistor? should just pull out by the look of it? ill ask one of our sparks to test it for me. what results should i expect if this is the problem? no current will pass through am i right

Yep the dome bit is the resistor.
Think its held in my 2 philips screws but can't quite remember as it was about 3 years ago since I done it.

If you got a friend with a ctr near you just swap over to see if it works. Thats what I done. A good electricla guy will know how to test it.

right well ill go back down and remove the dome bit and take it to the sparky workshop they might be able to confirm it for me then all i need to do is order a new part.if its not that then its either the relay or the motor hopefully the resistor as that should be cheap to replace id imagine.

Took the full thing out and got the sparkies to put 12v through it and it run fine so now know its not the blower motor or resistor they also checked the relay for me and that was working fine aswell. that only leaves the resistor on the power setter. any of you's know how to get the top half of the center console out?

Right did that at the end of work and found no problems there. So im totaly stumped :( anyone think of any other things to check?

the sparkies at work said there would be a resistor that came after the power control switch on the center console and that i should find that and get that cahked any one know where this is?

Back