• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Flywheel and Ring gear problems

Hi All,
After noticing I had start up problems I changed my starter motor to discover that it still has starting problems. Looking at the teeth on the flywheel everything looks perfect. I have now discovered that the ring gear might be loose and spinning around the flywheel. Has this ever happened before?!! So I am in a sticky situation. A new flywheel from honda costs an arm and a leg! £495 from lings!

Can anyone advise me? Also, it seems like a huge job. (gearbox off job!)

:(

Highly unlikely for the ring to slip around the flywheel mate. What start up problems are you having?

Grinding followed by difficulty continuous cranking. Eventually it starts but sometimes it just kind of makes a hollow sound like its not gripping to something

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

If a ring gear was to constanly slip I would expect it to not turn over or start, because the ring gear is swaged onto the flywheel if it were to come loose it would pop itself off of the flywheel.

I would try and gain a view point into the flywheel perhaps through the clutch fork hole with a torch and a small mirror to see what is actually happening when the engine is being turned over.

Defo ring gear I'm looking at it now and u can separate it from the flywheel using a screwdriver! Arghhh

ok.. ive managed to spot weld the ring gear to the flywheel as a temporary measure and the car seems to start up fine. But now its throwing a code p0341 cam position sensor bank 1. I tried to drive it but it just does not seem right. I'm pretty sure its not the flywheel causing problems. The car feels like its starved of something or is retarding itself on the ignition timing. Any advise? This does not seem right.

I wouldnt drive it anymore if you can help it for now mate i would suggest using a scope and checking cam timing and crank timing also ive heard a crank sensor going down can cause the same fault code. Bank 1 i assume is intake cam!! if a sensor cam timing sensor or a crank sensor goes down the car will go into limp mode so thats probably why it aint driving very well. It also could be a jumped cam chain ive heard of this happening also could of been caused by your chain tensioner. Probably not the latter but worth a thought my guess would be sensor gone down have you caught any wire while fixing your flywheel mate?

how could I have jumped a chain. All I did was start the car after the fix. Would this cause a chain problem? I checked all wires it seems ok. I'll check again. I'm really praying its nothing big because I only tried to fix my starting problem.

worst comes to worse.... I'm really praying and hoping its not, but if I had to change the timing chain what parts would I need out of the picture I have attached.

Screen shot 2011-03-13 at 08.48.16.png

No, adjust your tapatalk settings so that it does not keep mentioning you have a Desire HD please.

Settings>Signature off.

ok my worst fears have come true.. Basically this is what happened now that everything has been taken into consideration. The starter motor was failing and was jamming on the flywheel. This caused the flywheel ring gear to break off and turn freely around the flywheel. Initially I thought it was just a starter motor so I bought one from a breakers yard. The new starter motor did not work so we (mechanic and I) thought that the starter motor I bought was also faulty. I then agreed to recondition my original starter motor and reattach it. This also did not work so we were all mystified. We then looked at the flywheel from the starter motor hole and cranked it and checked it all the way around and found all the teeth to be perfect. So using a screwdriver we tried to see if the ring gear was loose and it was. So I decided to spot weld the flywheel through the starter hole as a stop gap till I get a new flywheel. The new re-conditioned starter motor was then re-attached and the manifold was again put back on. I cranked the engine and it started first time. However, I got a P0341 code which stated that the Variable Valve Timing was out of phase. We then looked under the valve cover and discovered that the timing had skipped two teeth! The mechanic reckoned that the timing chain skipped teeth as the flywheel got stuck and whilst the oil pressure was low. He told me that the chain condition is fine however every timing chain has a natural stretch. He told me that he will put it back in timing and re-tension it and the car will be fine as the tensioner still has a lot of good teeth left (over half way). He said that it will not jump teeth again and definitely not while i am driving as the tensioner tensions more as I drive due to the oil pressure.

Now I know the tensioner's job is to take away any slack from the chain. If there is a lot of teeth left in the tensioner does this sound like a valid solution?

Back