• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 rear main oil seal leak

Hi All,

I own a 23k mile ep3, full Honda service history, totally stock.

I noticed that there was oil on my drive so jacked the car up and found oil marks between the engine and gearbox.

Luckily I have extended warranty so brought it to Honda. They diagnosed the rear main oil seal (also known as crankshaft seal). They took off the gearbox and replaced it all under warranty.

Question is, why would this fail on my 2006 23k car?

I drive it about once a week, sometimes it doesn't move for 2 weeks. Sometimes I will drive it a few days consecutively. Could it have dried out?

Once the garage filled the oil to about 1cm over max... it was starting to go up the twist on the dip stick. Could this be why?

When doing 70 I get some whomming noise, and some slight bearing like noise. The bearing type noise can only be heard on new sections of road with the radio down. I've always put it down to uneven tyre wear, with perhaps the gearbox being a bit loud. The back tyres are bad, and the front are getting worse. Could it be big end issues causing crankshaft wobble and killing seal? Bearing in mind I got it on 11k and always keep oil at max.

Finally, after 2 weeks there have been no further drips. Yesterday I touched the lowest part and found it to be oily. Don't know what to think about that... hope its just residue? Before the fix it would drip once every week.

Thoughts from the group?

If it was filled over max, then the oil will be over pressured which can cause all sorts to fail, including seals.

Back