• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Odd rumble when exhaust gets drenched!

Ok, so i have a Buddy Club Spec4 catback.

Standard height suspension (for now), standard ARBs etc.

The system has been issue free - during cold startups, and long hot runs.

But i've noticed that when i've been driving the fully warmed up car on the motorway and there is a lot of standing water, the exhaust occasionally vibrates on the chassis.
It feels like it's right under my seat!
At first i thought a joint had broke or hanger split, but when the standing water reduces, the vibration goes away.

This has happened 3 times now, each time it has been during very heavy (torrential) rain and spray.

what the F is going on? Extreme quenching of the thin gauge stainless mid-pipe causing some sort of distortion??

Or could it be something to do with the original manifold & cat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man, don't worry about it.

It's just the rainwater getting splashed onto the B pipe and boiling against the underside of the car.

It's a common issue with aftermarket exhausts, it wont cause any damage, its just annoying :) .

Are you sure about that? I do hope you're right!

I've never noticed it with any other aftermarket systems before...and i do feel some vibration in the seat when it happens

cheers

I've never noticed it with any other aftermarket systems before...and i do feel some vibration in the seat when it happens

Yes.

The Mugen Twin Loop system is one that's been know to do it.

ok thanks chaps.

it'll take some getting used to, the missus was complaining the first time it happened; saying that "something doesnt sound right" :rolleyes:

she said that about blow off valve noises aswell :lol:

Ok, so i have a Buddy Club Spec4 catback.

Standard height suspension (for now), standard ARBs etc.

The system has been issue free - during cold startups, and long hot runs.

But i've noticed that when i've been driving the fully warmed up car on the motorway and there is a lot of standing water, the exhaust occasionally vibrates on the chassis.
It feels like it's right under my seat!
At first i thought a joint had broke or hanger split, but when the standing water reduces, the vibration goes away.

This has happened 3 times now, each time it has been during very heavy (torrential) rain and spray.

what the F is going on? Extreme quenching of the thin gauge stainless mid-pipe causing some sort of distortion??

Or could it be something to do with the original manifold & cat?

Spooky, after only having my Spec IV for a little while this same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago and again happened at the weekend. I thought maybe some water had go into the plugs/ht leads etc causing a miss-fire, so i have had them all to be checked but all appeared dry as bone.

So glad its not a issue with the engine etc, because the vibration through the seat is immense, also it sounds like the exhaust is going bop bop bop bop (but not in a nice way)

My old Skunk2 used to do it too..never had the issues with the Apexi or Magnex though

my twin loop did it as well. Only did it the once though. Sounded like there was a storm under my car. Proper rumbling noise and vibrations!

So glad its not a issue with the engine etc, because the vibration through the seat is immense, also it sounds like the exhaust is going bop bop bop bop (but not in a nice way)

This is exactly what happened with mine, sounds awful! Glad that its only a temporary thing though.
Would be interesting to rig up a mini camera down there during heavy rain to see what actually happens!

My mate was behind me once when it happened, he said he saw loads of steam spiralling out the back of the car

@ Jord I lol'd at that "souded like there was a storm under my car" brilliant

My mongoose cat back done it all the time on my CTR, pain in the rectum, my mates started calling my car a shed :mad: and they have Mg's :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back