Home
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How-To replace the gear stick gaiter on a FN2

So annoying and constantly holding it up trying to pull it up whilst driving and probably going to wear out the gaiter and have to get a new one haha

Default Done it!

Finally done it! Thanks for the guide. I removed the mount with a panel trim. 100% easier to do so. It's definite some well worth investing on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by robfn2; 10-08-2015 at 08:19 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to robfn2 For This Useful Post:

Loxy (10-08-2015)

I replaced my worn gaitor yesterday. I've only recently bought the car, hence I was a bit anxious pulling it apart so soon. However, following this superb guide and referencing You Tube alternatives, I'm really chuffed I've managed to take it all apart and put it back together again with the new gaitor and with little effort. Took about an hour from start to finsh. I superglued the ends of the gaitor where they had originally been stapled. The end result is just as good. Thanks for posting the guide. It helped a lot and gave me confidence to have a go myself.

Great guide... Done mine today and was so much easier with this write up. Thanks

At long last I bought a replacement leather gaiter for my FN2 before Christmas. Mine though has been made with many pieces of leather that have been sewn together vertically with red stitching, and weirdly, horizontally as well halfway up the gaiter. Don't know if this a new design, and subsequently I haven't fitted it, but I was expecting different.

Can't work out how to get a photo off my phone onto this bloomin laptop that i use at work.

My (gear) knob is on the wonk, was like that when I bough it.

When it's screwed on fully tight, the numbers and lines point towards the steering column instead of straight forwards. It's giving me OCD worse than the shagged out gaitor (new one of those in the post).

Would you fix this by moving the locking ring nut to a higher position or is it something wrong with the knob itself?

Get the knob where you want it and then use the locking ring to hold that position.

Also if you want to avoid rubbing the gaiter with your fingers and so wearing the top of it get a taller gear knob.
    Wilmo
    FN2 CTR GT & 1.8 Si in Milano Red

Quote Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
    Get the knob where you want it and then use the locking ring to hold that position.

Also if you want to avoid rubbing the gaiter with your fingers and so wearing the top of it get a taller gear knob.
    Quick question, can you take the gaitor off the locking nut without pulling up the plastic surround?

I've seen videos on YT where they appear to just twist it off, but mine is locked on pretty tight.

I can't get to the locking nut to lock my knob in place.

To get the gaiter off the locking nut you push it down not up.
    Be careful there are fragile plastic tangs that clip it to the nut that are easy to snap.

If you want to take the gaiter out completely you have to take the whole knob off and remove the plastic trim around the gaiter that it is screwed to.

If you wind the knob down too far then there is no thread left for the locking nut to engage with.
    Wilmo
    FN2 CTR GT & 1.8 Si in Milano Red