• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

gear change problem

im finding the type r a brilliant car apart from the gear change,some times its fine sometimes its a bitch? is this a common problem?

when going into 1st sometimes i have to put the clutch done twice for it to engage?

would uprated gearbox mounts help? or a short shifter kit?

there is no grinding sound and it never pops out of gear so whats going on?

What's its mileage? Might need a new clutch

What's the high RPM gear changes like?

75,600 k

gear change is fine even in vtec apart from going from 2nd to 3rd (sometimes there is a loud clunk/bang sound) it might be me as im still getting used to the car,the clutch doesnt slip but its still on its original clutch

I have the same problem with first gear and believe it is a common fault that first and second can be stiff when cold. Mine is on 60k with the original clutch also. I am having a new one fitted the next few weeks so I will let you know If it helps.

The bang between 1/2 or 2/3 gear is the front engine mount, split.
About £100 from honda.

The syncros are common faults on these, changing the box fluid usually helps.

The clutch is also common at around 60k. Usually around 450-550 fitted.

When the weather was cold i struggled to get mine into 2nd gear. Think it was the sync mesh

This. 1st to 2nd is a triple sync mesh. the rest are doubles. This is so it can handle the quick high revving changes apparently. Obviously the higher up the gearing you go, the longer it takes to change gears.

If you're clutch still feels ok on your foot peddle, I wouldn't bother changing it.

The bang between 1/2 or 2/3 gear is the front engine mount, split.
About £100 from honda.

The syncros are common faults on these, changing the box fluid usually helps.

The clutch is also common at around 60k. Usually around 450-550 fitted.

the box fluid was changed 7k ago,any cheaper maybe uprated mount i could get?

The mount will be split, it's £100(ish) plus fitting from honda.

You could fit an ES mount insert to a split mount, but its a bit Heath Robinson.

Do you know which fluid was used in the box?

Back