• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

WelshyWelsh's Cosmic Premier EP3

WelshyWelsh

TRO Supporter
Hi guys,

I have owned my Premier Edition EP3 for ten months now so thought I was well overdue in adding it to the members’ cars section. I previously owned a Hyundai Coupe F2 Evolution which I loved, despite the fact that it started racking up faults as the months went by, wasn’t particularly fast and was, well, a Hyundai.

Then in March of last year I changed jobs and I needed a newer, reliable car as I’d be on the road a lot. The sensible option would of course have been a VW diesel saloon, but as I was going to be racking up the miles (including a lot of trips up the windy roads to mid Wales), I figured fun should take priority. So I bought what I’d always wanted - an EP3.

I picked up my 55 plate Cosmic from Chiswick Honda with 55K miles. As well as all the usual Premier Edition extras, it had air conditioning, built in Honda Sat Nav and FSH. It was (and still is!) in immaculate condition, no curbing of the alloys, trolley dents, etc. Here are some pics from today now the sun has magically appeared. Not as clean as it could be, but relatively shiny.

I’ve racked up 14K miles so far and have loved every minute of it – VTEC just doesn’t get old! In terms of modding, my plans are to keep it pretty standard for the time being due to the mileage I’m covering (Spoon N1 would be lovely, but will give me a headache all day every day!)

The money I’ve spent has been on getting the car back to exact OEM standards, so new rear brake discs and pads, Bridgestone Potenzas all round and getting air con fixed when it packed in – thankfully under warranty.

That said, I have been sold on the JDM mats as I’m a sucker for anything rare and stupidly priced. I’m also seriously considering a Gruppe M as it shouldn’t be too loud with everything standard looking at forum posts, but need to check on how it’ll affect the already dodgy fuel economy.

Cheers for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks a lovely car chap, nice and original! The Honda sat nav is a tasty option too, haven't seen that often at all myself! :D

Cheers guys. Yeah it's nice having Sat Nav built in. Only problem is that it works off a map disc, so everything is 7 years old! The Recaros really convinced me to pay the extra for the Premier Edition. I think the JDM mats will look amazing with them-just got to find a set!

Cheers Suggs. I love them, although still not 100% whether your all red ones are even nicer!

haha cheers! Yep mines all red as said, but a 30th Anniversary edition Type-R so same but different!

Little bit of an update. Managed to find JDM mats in amazing condition over on CTRO. As you can see they're pretty much new and the price was right.

Photos from original seller:

JDMpassengermat_zps17b0bec9.gif

JDMdriversmat_zps43003df4.gif

JDMrearmat_zpsc22c62b3.gif

And fitted to my car (iPhone pics from here, so not best quality):

Interior2_zpsf8309524.gif

Interior1_zps02821556.gif

Next I ordered a new JDM Union Jack from Funky Power:

UnionJackbadge_zpsc4388635.gif

And finally a genuine Mugen oil cap, again a bargain from the sale section on CTRO. Few scuffs but nothing major and better than paying Mugen prices!

Mugenoilcap_zpsfe93f2dd.gif

The car passed its MOT yesterday, with just one advisory. However the advisory is for a sticking front o/s caliper. On the drive home, the driver's side started making a noise (which has thankfully stopped today) but definitely time to look for a change. So the next upgrade will either be Spoon EP3 or Mugen FN2 calipers, again second hand bargain I'm thinking - I'm on the lookout!

Thanks for looking, hope you like it so far.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Small update. Again, all little things to add some cool touches.

Some Rays valve caps
Raysvalvecaps_zps43a57731.gif

A bit of Jazz washer action. I've seen so many people raving about these but was a little dubious as to whether the improvement would be as much as people said. Now I've fitted them, I can also join the club in saying they're awesome - much better than standard.
Jazzwashers_zps39038d81.gif

Last up some door sills from CTRO, which look lovely and add yet more Type R logos to the car (in case I forget what I'm driving
icon_e_wink.gif
)
Doorsill1_zps702330c0.gif

Doorsill2_zpsb539ec37.gif

Next plans are slightly bigger - to make the odd track day feasible - but with the car being a daily driver still very much in mind. Basically I'm looking to stop better as the brakes have been the one part I've not been massively impressed by:

Spoon calipers (and 3mm wheel spacers to fit)
Project Mu HC+ front pads
HEL braided brake lines
Spoon progressive springs

Not a long list, but a scarily priced one. The calipers will most definitely be second hand - no way I'm paying full price! Will look to get all the bits first and pay one fee for all the fitting, so that'll be this thread disappearing for a few months!

Cheers

Very very nice example - with some nice additions and great plans. I've been tempted by another EP - I think I'd be set on Cosmic as a FL JDM is not worth the hassle. Look forward to seeing the developments with this.

Very very nice example - with some nice additions and great plans. I've been tempted by another EP - I think I'd be set on Cosmic as a FL JDM is not worth the hassle. Look forward to seeing the developments with this.

Thanks mate, means a lot coming from one of the TRO legends! :) Had some top advice from TarmacNymph regarding the brake situation, so (whisper it) going to take a similar route to Karl. To be honest I'd love to take the same route for the wheels, spoiler and seats too, but I totalled it up in my head quickly and fell off my chair.

How much were the Mats are where they from look nice ?

Hi mate. Mats were £130 from a CTRO forum seller. I still think it's a ridiculous amount to pay for mats, but the only place that seems to have them new wants £300! They are top quality and I was lucky to get them in such good condition - a lot of poorer quality ones around for more cash.

also the sil type r ?

A guy on CTRO called Rigsby01 makes them. Have a look at the sale thread - £30 delivered. They're really popular, I think most of us will end up with a set soon!

i love this! i wanted one but i couldnt find a cosmic in my budget so went second best and got a satin silver prefacelift

can you not get a new updated cd for the sat nav, i have seen you can for other headunits and cars.
maybe ask honda if you can or look online.

i love this! i wanted one but i couldnt find a cosmic in my budget so went second best and got a satin silver prefacelift

can you not get a new updated cd for the sat nav, i have seen you can for other headunits and cars.
maybe ask honda if you can or look online.

Thanks mate. Yeah I mentioned the Sat Nav disc to Ryland Honda in Cardiff and the service guy just started laughing. Honda want £180 for an updated one! Crazy stuff. To be honest 95% of where I need to be is on the map (although the odd roundabout appears from nowhere!) and I use my iPhone for the last couple of miles if needed.

Some very nice additions there chap, i had Jazz jets fitted on my Type-R on Monday and they are good! :D

May i ask how much you paid for the Mugan oil cap btw? No idea what their worth! I had a gold one on my car when i got it but this has now been changed for a for a brand new standard Honda one as didn't really like it......... so gonna move this one on most likely *lol*

Some very nice additions there chap, i had Jazz jets fitted on my Type-R on Monday and they are good! :D

May i ask how much you paid for the Mugan oil cap btw? No idea what their worth! I had a gold one on my car when i got it but this has now been changed for a for a brand new standard Honda one as didn't really like it......... so gonna move this one on most likely *lol*

Cheers Suggs. £25 I paid, which I was really happy with - only a bit more than the dodgy ebay fakes. They're £80 new from most places, so for that price you should have it sold in no time.

Back