• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Idle Problem

Hi, Just came back from Uni and car has been sat on the drive at home for the last three months, so just started her this morning (Batt, oil, water etc all fine) and it didn't want to idle. It kept hunting up to 2000rpm dropping to 1200 then up to 2000 again. left it running for a while to warm it up and still remained the same :-s, and took it around the block a few times but no luck.

Any thoughts anyone? Cheers

Search for cleaning idle control valve. Loads of threads on here about it.

Seen a few of these "I've left my car sitting for months, now it won't idle" posts. Have seen many replies saying "take it out a blast, it'll sort it" so I'm going to say... take it to the local go like F@*K area and go like F*@K!! Could sort it out. Theres no engine lights on are there? also you could go under the bonnet and remove Fuse No.6 keep it out for a good 10 minutes and then put it back in and let the car run for 10 minutes.

That's what happened to me after leaving it standing for 2 months, took it on motorway and did about 5-6 miles and it sorted out.

Yea no engine lights, ** take it out for a drive over the weekend and see how it goes, cheers fellas

It must be the time of year for it (or all the rain). Mine did the same thing but after being stood for a week (it is driven every day normally). I gave it a good motorway run and it sorted itself out.

I have found that if the EP3 doesn't idle correctly on tickover and the rpm's keep dropping below 800 to where it feels like the car will stall when pulling up to a junction. I would usually pull fuse 6 under the bonnet then either let the car sit on tickover until the fan kicks in or take the car for a small drive to warm it up and sit stationary until the fan kicks in. (I usually take my CTR for a small drive as by pulling Fuse 6 you are resetting the ECU and i don't like my leaving my car sitting on tickover)

If the rpm's are hunting up from 1500-2500 then the idle control valve is the cause as Loxy said above.

Back