• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

MIRROR SOD - Shut Off Device

This lump inside power folding mirrors, with a handful of wires coming out of it.....

Looks like a Cube shaped relay, but what is actually inside it ??

My mirror fold is getting slow, wondering about pulling mirrors to bits and exhuming this device to see what is in the cube..

Any one know what's inside this little device ??????

It's usually one piece in it that goes wiffy that if you dig out the resin you can desolder and replace.

I'll look it up later and let you know. They are only £30 odd new though to replace.

I'm wondering what the component is.... some sort of relay and current sensor possibly ?

Credit to Trafo on Civinfo:

How to repair wing mirrors for 0.25 Euro

Sorry for my language, but the text was translated in Polish -> English web-translator.

With cause of the fact that folding mirrors up isn't acting, there is a burnt polymer PTC polyswitch (resettable fuse) 0.3A and 72V. After his exchange mirrors work like new.
This fuse is put in the black box inside the mirror.

w_lusterku.jpg

In a below photo can see which exactly he is, in one mirror was obviously cracked (one can see more low), in nothing was second after him apparently;

honda_civic_8_gen_mirror.jpg

The entire work consisted in the removal old so that after it legs stay for new soldering, soldering the new fuse and protecting him - at me with hot glue.
Overall cost from 0,25 - 2 Euro;
Costs; fuel to and from the electronic shop, polyswitch (resettable fuse) 0,25 Euro (1zł in Poland), the piece of tin and glue and the electricity to the soldering and the handgun to glue.
Time; 10-15 min. disassembly of the mirror + 30 min. electrician work.

The bigger description and more photographs are on my site here (only in Polish). For English it is necessary to use some translator Polish to English. (For the simple read it is necessary to use the filter of advertisements)

Many thanks Loxy,

I've got dozens of these lol..

My only issue now is that... if a fuse blows, surely the mirror simply stops...

But what explains SLOW operation of the mirror fold-out ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, that's a very good point!

Have you swapped the SOD from one side to the other to confirm that the problem is definitely the SOD?

both of the mirrors have slowed up considerably recently, one then the other....

I'm guessing the SOD unit has something else inside, as I read once that some one strips and refits the guts... just wondering what's inside ?

I think they'll be referring to that thread I posted, but by all means have a go! :lol:

Getting the resin out without mullering what is inside won't be easy though.

I'll rip them open this week and load some pics of the contents and what I do about it lol

Back