• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gearbox issues

Hi there, I have a 2002 ep3 with 106000 miles on the clock. I have a problem mainly with second gear. When cold the box seems fine and selects each gear without any problems. Once warmed up at low rpms it seems to change fine, however in high rpm changing from 1st to 2nd gear is very tough to select.
My mates a mechanic and he seems to think the clutch is fine, and it's the synchro's which are worn. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what the real culprit is?
I am considering getting a full gearbox rebuild, where I might as well get an lsd whilst the box is out, I know this is a costly repair but I am prepared to spend the money because I love the car, however my mate thinks it's not worth it considering the age and mileage of the car, although it runs fine and has had its timing chain done at 102k.

Thanks for reading any advice is welcome :)

Probably the clutch. Common problem when trying to change gear at high rpm. If it's got service history try go back through it and see if it's ever had a clutch before, if so at what mileage. They tend to last approx 60-80k miles depending on how they've been driven.

More then likely it's a worn clutch which has worn the sync to as well, best bet is once gearbox is out replace second and third syncro rings , at the same time fit a new clutch Exedy clutch are good standard kit at £100+vat from euro car parts, whilst box is apart fit as LSD total labour to build a box no more then a couple of hundred pounds... Give south west transmissions 01392 434070 a call they are brilliant, they offer same day service at no extra cost ...

It'll be clutch related, usually the pressure plate fails making the bite point low, the pedal heavy and you struggle with the high RPM gear changes first, then it'll progress and get worse.

I used it as an excuse to have an LSD, carbon synchros, 5.1 final drive fitted and a general refurb of the box! :D

Thank you for all the replies, much appreciated.
I didn't find any receipts for a new clutch from previous owners, but my mate who's a mechanic reckons he would put money on that it isn't on its original clutch. Any who the box is being taken out soon anyway because I want an LSD, whilst its out I will be getting a new clutch (exedy) and fitting carbon syncros plus a general refurb of the box, pretty much what Krzys had suggested.
What's the LSD like by the way, a noticeable performance increase/ better cornering? I've been told its one of the best Mods for an ep3.

If it's the same mechanic that thinks the clutch is fine, maybe it's time to start thinking about not listening to his advise? :)

Yes, the LSD is a top modification, there's not much else to say.

Thank you for all the replies, much appreciated.
I didn't find any receipts for a new clutch from previous owners, but my mate who's a mechanic reckons he would put money on that it isn't on its original clutch. Any who the box is being taken out soon anyway because I want an LSD, whilst its out I will be getting a new clutch (exedy) and fitting carbon syncros plus a general refurb of the box, pretty much what Krzys had suggested.
What's the LSD like by the way, a noticeable performance increase/ better cornering? I've been told its one of the best Mods for an ep3.
Much better in pretty much every aspect of driving :D

Back