• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Best Oil and Filter for EP3's

Hi,

Just about to swap the oil on my EP3 got a couple of track days lined up in it and just wondering are there any preferences to what oil I should use and also filter?

Cheers Dom

Any fully synthetic 5W-40 will be ideal as it will burn off less than say a 5W-30. Make sure you take some top ups though, as you can burn a lot on a track day.

Filter, either Honda original or a HAMP filter will be spot on.

Check out Opie, they will sort you out.

Yeah I went through a litre of oil during a full track day! That's enough to go from the max line to the min line so keep an eye on it chap!

After how many track days would you change oil on the ep3 of you was to do mix track and normal driving?

If you do say 5,000 miles a year and 3-4 trackdays... I'd be changing it every 6 months

5l of Fuchs Titan and a hamp filter is about £27, so it's not expensive :)

I got 6 litres of Shell Helix from Opie on a deal and a Short Hamp Oil Filter. Will see how it gets on at Anglesey this weekend haha

Short filters are not preferable. They're for K-swaps where space is at a premium. They have the same level of filtration but less of it, so will not perform as well for as long as a standard length filter.

Short filters are not preferable. They're for K-swaps where space is at a premium. They have the same level of filtration but less of it, so will not perform as well for as long as a standard length filter.

Their designed to increase the oil pressure slightly. Yes surface area isn't as large as other filters, but stick to the maintenance schedule and there's no issue's.

I use Fuchs (Silkolene) Titan 5w-40 with a Hamp shortie filter. Been using both for 8+ years with no problems and not much topups needed between services using 5w-40 oil.

I just bought 2 gallons of 5w-30 Mobil 3000. Is 5w-40 or -30 better for your engine for normal driving?

5w-40 will probably just burn off less than 5w-30, so you'll be topping up more often. Should be fine apart from that.

but stick to the maintenance schedule and there's no issue's.
Based on what? Have you taken samples of oil to get them inspected in a lab after using both types of filter? Or did you just put your finger in the air and guess because 'your engine hasn't blown up'?

Mann oil filter from euro parts and shell helix 5w 40 will do the job. Euro parts had a sale on 19.99 for 5 litre of shell helix and I also used a discount code and got a gallon for 17.50 that's the cheapest I have bought it for usually its 25 pounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do say 5,000 miles a year and 3-4 trackdays... I'd be changing it every 6 months

5l of Fuchs Titan and a hamp filter is about £27, so it's not expensive :)
Where are you getting it fit that price dude? ?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Based on what? Have you taken samples of oil to get them inspected in a lab after using both types of filter? Or did you just put your finger in the air and guess because 'your engine hasn't blown up'?
Out of curiosity what are your findings based on though asking out of interest?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Findings? I use OEM oils, that manufacturers put in cars from the factory. The same oils race teams use. You wouldn't see BMW or other manufacturers putting in Fuchs into any of their cars.

Hmmm Shell says 5W-30 is the Oil to use for my EP3. :D It burns off to easily for me. So I would recommend going to 5W-40 from my experience. As I have found that I need to top up less.

Back