• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 2015 vs 2016 and problems so far?

Hi guys, I am looking to buy a Type-R but need some additional information which dealers here can't provide.

I am from Istanbul. Honda couldn't sell their 2015 stock completely so they are not importing the 2016 models until 2015s are sold out. From what I've heard 2016 models may arrive around August which is a long wait.

Are there any differences between the 2015 and the 2016 models? Are there any known hardware, ecu, or setting changes or improvements? I am saying "known" because sometimes companies iron out the problems without going public. For example Honda had an excessive oil consumption issue with 2008 CBR Fireblade which they denied but the issue magically went away on later models.

I have heard of a few issues with the new Type-R which are high engine temps and car losing power after 2-3 laps on the track and car going into limp mode when driven with under half a tank of fuel.

Anyone heard or experienced these issues or other important issues? If there are no differences I rather not wait and buy a 2015 (probably with a better deal too). Otherwise I will wait for the 2016 models to arrive or even the 2017 models.

Personally I haven't heard of or exprienced any of those problems. I have an early model too 15 plate.

There won't be any 2017 cars unless you mean the new model. The production line is being tooled up for the 10th Gen Civics this year, so they won't be able to make any more if they wanted to.

No differences are known with the exception that very early cars had engines assembled in the UK, whereas after that they were US built engines.

The "limp mode" is on long, high G, right handed corners with less than 1/4 tank. Fuel moves away from the pickup point in the fuel tank. The car restricts acceleration to protect against detonation brought about by fuel starvation. When the fuel returns to the pickup point, everything returns to normal.

Really the fuel tank needs baffles, but it's a plastic tank, so that's not likely to be easy. All cars have the same tank.

Example here from 1:21

[video=youtube;Tkpff5VhZCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkpff5VhZCE[/video]

Should be able to put some baffle foam in. The LCR outfit I grew up around had a bag tank located inside the monocoque chassis, so couldn't use solid baffling.

racing3a.jpg

I'm based in Istanbul for this year and as I remember there was a nice Blue CTR in the dealer's window the last time I went passed there go for it

No differences are known with the exception that very early cars had engines assembled in the UK, whereas after that they were US built engines.

How can I find out if it's UK or US built? Would be interested in this.

I don't think there is any way of telling other than the first batch that were delivered in July/August basically the pre-orders and first dealer demos, were the UK ones. They're all rigorously tested though, so I highly doubt there is much difference.

I had one of the first Dealer Demos registered end of July. I would like to be able to say that my engine was built in the UK.

I don't know of any issues it changes in the 2016 model as far as I'm aware they are all the same !

As others have pointed out in other threads the early one's used a lot of oil and the newer ones don't seem to use almost anything. Some one with more knowledge than me will be able to say if I'm right or just talking rubbish as normal!!

If any known 'issues' are found and resolved on later builds. Your car that's an early build will be covered anyway such if any issue happens. Or there may even be recalls for these issues.

Still no issues here and didn't read anything about a ,,common'' issue with the R's so far. Great cars!

I don't think any use oil - I think it was BS trotted out by some dealers before anyone knew anything much about the car

I took delivery of my car on launch week, so it's as early as they come, and it hasn't used any oil

Chris.

Back