• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bulbs keep blowing - EP3

A5H

Guys,

A friend of mine has a Ep3 prem type r and keeps having trouble with the bulbs keep blowing. Any idea what could be the cause of the problem?

Friend of mine has a sport with the same problem. What bulbs is he using? Does he have any additional electrics near the lights?

my brake light blown a few times on my prem , cheap bulbs changed to expensive been fine for over a year

in the cold damp weather one tends to go through more bulbs. had a spate of them going on the work cars.

Don't use cheap bulbs and don't touch the glass and they should last a while.

Mine go about one headlight bulb every month. Im not touching the glass when changing 'em and i've tried expensive bulbs. They just keep poppin. I now keep a pack in my car at all times. Ive been told its a very common ctr ep3 fault. Any idea whats causing this?

The gease on your fingers transfers to the glass and heats up whent the lights are on. The excess in heat bursts the filament and often the glass.

i used to have the same probleme with me bulbs popping all the time.. ive changed over to xenons and the bulbs have been fine for over a year now...

i have discovered after 6 sets of pretty expensive bulbs that one of my front clusters had a broken clip which was causing the cluster to rattle around a little bit which then blew 1 bulb and if that was left blown for more than 2 days then the other bulb would blow (apparently due to power surge) fixed my cluster and have had no problemo since :)

i am having this issue, got a 55 plate anniversary edition and only had it over a year and must have replaced the headlight 4 times now, used two cheap ones at first then used two Phillips ones and still same thing. After a few months they go

what should i check for or do now as getting to winter and need to sort the issue

thanks

i'd check the wiring and the connectors to make sure nothings broken or rusty which could cause a slight surge or short

i will do that, so cables going into the bulbs and making sure its not rusty

what bulbs should i buy, do i go and get oem or buy some other brands as the Philips have blown

TypeR_Tillett - what does he mean by cluster with broken clip

Just had both dipped headlight bulbs blow in my EP3, they were 6/7 month old Philips 'superbright'. Put a spare in that I had in the car and that blew instantly too. Think I may have a short somewhere. All other lights seem to be okay.

Very unlikely to be anything other than a crap bulb. If there was a short it would blow the fuse. Poor connection would be dim. Are you touching the glass? Oil from your fingers can make hot spots causing bulbs to blow sooner.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Is there a knack to doing the clips on the back? Always struggle getting them back on and I am never quite sure they are seated right.

Back