• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 05’ EP3 Type R: Next Steps?

Hello all,
I’m new to these forums here and I’m a young owner with a 2005 EP3 Type R UK Spec. Me and my dad purchased this car in summer of 22’ with intentions of getting it in better nick and clean shape. Unfortunately, things got in the way and we left the car to sit for the last 2 years now that the weather and stuff is slowly becoming nicer we’ve finally decided something needs to be done to it.
It currently has 158k miles on the clock and has not been rebuilt or anything, all original car with no modifications.
My questions is what’s the next steps?

My dad has no longer got a drive for cars but purchased this for me so I can have something to drive and to have fun with while learning at the same time, he was lucky enough to purchase one of these brand new back in 04’ so has a fairly good idea of how the car works etc, but he doesn’t have the enthusiasm for it as he used too, so that’s where I come in. I’m not sure what to do with the car and what are the first steps that need to be taken. I’m a huge enthusiast but lack knowledge when it comes mechanical side of things and just owning a car in general.
The engine seems to be running well besides a slight idle issue and a knocking noise coming from the rear of the car but I have no idea if it’s minor or major problem. Exterior wise the car is fairly clean, with a few scratches and minor rust from what I can see. Not sure what the underbody looks rust wise (getting the car on a lift soon) nor what the internal of the engine looks like.
Ideally, a full exterior and internal restoration but lack the funds for that. An engine rebuild is one of the main things I would like but not for the next few years.
To sum it up, overall the car does need a good bit of TLC and needs to be driven back on the roads ASAP, but I’m very lost on what steps to take first with this whole car.

Sorry if this post is a bit all over the place, new to these forums and this in general. Any kind of help would be appreciated, thank you.

Next steps is a difficult one as that would be up to you and your budget.

For now seems it's been idle for a while I would start with a good service, changing plugs all filters and fluids, get valve clearances done the same time, timing chain inspection or change if it hasn't been done and compression test, check and change things like brakes, exhaust, suspension components etc.

If you are planning on a rebuild it maybe worth waiting on the chain but if it's not an immediate plan I would give it a good service and make it all road worthy.

Have a good check for rust underneath, get bumpers, arch linings if present and side skirts off and have a good check, if all is well get it all treated , painted then look at bigger things like engine rebuilds, re spraying etc. Hope this helps a little.

Next steps is a difficult one as that would be up to you and your budget.

For now seems it's been idle for a while I would start with a good service, changing plugs all filters and fluids, get valve clearances done the same time, timing chain inspection or change if it hasn't been done and compression test, check and change things like brakes, exhaust, suspension components etc.

If you are planning on a rebuild it maybe worth waiting on the chain but if it's not an immediate plan I would give it a good service and make it all road worthy.

Have a good check for rust underneath, get bumpers, arch linings if present and side skirts off and have a good check, if all is well get it all treated , painted then look at bigger things like engine rebuilds, re spraying etc. Hope this helps a little.
Thank you so much for your reply, this helps a lot, much appreciate man. Have a good one!

Back