• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. J

EP3 high mileage k20s? Ok or stay away?

My 06 Premier Edition has 132,000 on the clock and hasn't skipped a beat yet. As people have said ensure you get one that has been regularly serviced with oil changes and you won't go far wrong.
  2. J

Coolant Reservoir Replacement

UPDATE: Coolant reservoir replaced. Although it is a very tight squeeze, it will come out of the top with a bit of persuasion.
  3. J

Coolant Reservoir Replacement

Has anyone ever replaced the plastic coolant reservoir tank on an EP3 Type-R before? I just noticed mine has a hole in it and has leaked all the coolant out so it only has that which is in the radiator left. I couldn't seem to find the replacement guide in the Honda workshop manual? Thanks, Josh
  4. J

Sloppy and loose gear lever

Do the gearbox mounts make any noticeable difference. I just have the stock engine mounts on at the minute but I kinda feel like there is a bit of engine movement and maybe these could do with a refresh; I am really cautious around these though as I heard inserts make a big difference in...
  5. J

Sloppy and loose gear lever

Hi all, I have a bit of a strange one with my EP3 but not sure if it is supposed to be like this as I haven't got another EP3 to compare to. I have a 2006 Premier Edition with 130,000 miles on the clock but the gear lever seems to be quite loose and sloppy. I can feel this when it is in neutral...
  6. J

Loud crunching noise on start up

Well it usually doesn't damage it and people have lived with the noise for years but then again it can apparently chip the flywheel - although I've never heard this on a Type-R though. How much it will cost will depend on what you decide to do with the starter motor. Don't get another 'used'...
  7. J

Clutch Problems

Well I've had the new clutch put in and the horrible noise has gone. It was the pressure plate springs that were loose and rattling as well as the centre section. Pedal is much lighter now and the gearchange is a little better. As regards to the wierd noise in neutral - the dealership said that...
  8. J

Yeh it'll be fine - 99% certain it'll be the starter motor. Nothing to worry about really - some people have put up with the noise for years but it is irritating
  9. J

I'd bet my bottom dollar that it's the starter motor that's grinding. The noise is the same as when you turn the key when the car is already started. You will usually get this on cold days but it will disappear when you start the car when it is warm. I used to get this on my Toyota Yaris and...
  10. J

Clutch Problems

Yeh to be fair I was a little angry at having to pay for the clutch but did so anyway due to it being a wear and tear item. Funny thing is though - they said the friction plate had quite a bit of meat left on it so i'm betting that it wasn't the original clutch anyway. However I think it's now...
  11. J

Clutch Problems

Just had the clutch done and it's nice and light and the gearchange is better. However there is still a dry/grinding sound in neutral when revving past 1800RPM that disappears when you depress the clutch pedal. I have taken it to another Honda dealer and they have said it is most probably...
  12. J

Ep3 Type R Fuel Filter

I'm not too sure tbh as I have never changed one on an EP3 - I would guess at around £35. Mine was already done by Honda as part of its 70,000 mile service. Take a look at the following thread - it's for a DC5 but I imagine the procedure/parts are more or less identical...
  13. J

Ep3 Type R Fuel Filter

No. I'm pretty sure this fuel filter is for an EK9 Type-R. EP3's have them in the tank and unfortunately it requires removal of the fuel pump from under the back seats etc. An EP3 Fuel Filter should look something like this:
  14. J

Clutch Problems

That's the thing really, I need the car up and running properly as soon as possible. There is a weird whine around 2.5k RPM in all gears & neutral and I'm afraid if I leave it any longer, something bad will happen. The car did go through their workshop prior to sale but they thought the clutch...
  15. J

Clutch Problems

Hmm it will be interesting to see what it's like when its got a new clutch in. Can't say i've tried starting in first gear but I will definitely give that a try. To be honest I was fuming that the clutch needs replacement so soon; I can appreciate that the car has done 127,000 miles and it was a...
  16. J

Clutch Problems

Hmm I wouldn't have thought it would be valves. I think they were done by Honda on its 125,000 service but they have definitely been done on schedule before. Unfortunately I think I have the common Type-R clutch wear symptoms - heavy pedal, low bite, occasional gear grinding, gear change not as...
  17. J

Clutch Problems

Hi all, Just a quick heads up about some clutch issues I have been experiencing. I have a horrible rattle/grinding sound when in low gears/load on the engine that at first I thought to be heatshield rattle. After a little more development and diagnosis I am now pointing this to the clutch. I...
  18. J

Noise when driving slowly, or reversing, clutch squawk?

First thing to check is the brakes if it definitely stops when touching the brakes. As mentioned, it could be a sticking caliper or wheel bearings although I would be doubtful of wheel bearings. Try to narrow down what affects the noise; if the clutch has no effect on the noise when pushed in or...
  19. J

Problem when starting up my ep3

Not sure tbh as I've never done one on a Type-R. I'd imagine it's pretty easy. Might have to move a bit more out of the way on an EP3...
  20. J

EP3 Looking to buy an EP3

I've seen a nice 05' Premier Edition Type-R from a non Honda dealership. They want £5900 for it though. I don't really want to be spending more than £5000 on a Type-R but I suppose getting them to budge on price will be difficult. Without seeing it, the only haggling points I can think of are...
  21. J

Was thinking that looking at them both side by side. When I drove an FN2 Type-R I thought the seats were better/more suportive than the EP3's. The only thing that puts me off is the extra £1000 premium that the Premier Edition's seem to warrant. Apart from the seats the rest of the differences...
  22. J

Hi guys, New to this forum today. I'm looking to buy a facelift EP3 Type-R in the next 2 months, I'll be coming from a 1.3 Toyota Yaris so I'm sure you can appreciate the step up in performance and power. Just looking for some advice really on what to look out for when viewing/buying/owning an...
  23. J

Yeh it did me until I had it cleaned & greased. Now it's as quiet as anything. However, it will be more expensive if you don't remove the starter yourself as there will obviously be labour charges for doing this on top of the starter greasing. I removed mine myself and took it straight in...
  24. J

I have experienced this problem in both of my Toyota Yaris'. The starter motor would grind, usually on a cold morning. The noise is the same as when you turn the key when the car is already started. To fix it, you can remove the starter motor and take it to an Auto Electrician. They will grease...
Back