• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. I

Loud exhaust rattle at idle.

Thanks chaps. Initial ownership experienced has been clouded by a few annoyances (corroded alloys, rattly interior, very very firm ride (but this is just a fact of life I think with an FN2 on 19s!), and a smell of dog...) and now this, so safe to say I am not in love with my Type R and looking...
  2. I

So had another garage have a look at it. Baffles in the backbox are loose and the back box needs replaced. Safe to drive but will rattle if not done. Quoted 285 if the 'o rings' could be salvaged...400 if not. Gulp.
  3. I

New FN2 - Oil Consumption

Is it fine to top up with 10w50 or 10w60 if the oil that's in is 0w40 or 5w40? I spoke to the main dealer, they have done the last three services and have never done the valve clearances (why not?). Worth having them done now or wait till next service in May?
  4. I

New FN2 - Oil Consumption

I recently bought an 09 FN2 with FSH and 56k miles. I know that these cars can drink oil. I understand (though who knows if truthful) that the previous owner, who had owned for 4/5 years and 40k miles, rarely used VTEC as it was used for the school run. The oil was near the top when I picked...
  5. I

Standard exhaust. Will jack it up this weekend and see if any heatshields look loose.
  6. I

Hello all. I have recently purchased an 09 FN2, private sale. It has become apparent that there is a loud exhaust rattle at idle, which goes away when driving. It seems to build up as you sit (for example in traffic lights). I had it on ramps at a local chain garage, who suggested it may...
  7. I

Sourcing centre caps for Rage alloys.

So I am sticking with the 19" Rages and having them powdercoated due to corrosion. Anyone know where I can source Rage centre caps, and do they come in a colour other than silver...? If not, anyone have any suggestions as to replacements?
  8. I

17" Wheels on FN2

Why 215/40 and not 215/45?
  9. I

17" Wheels on FN2

Options: 225/45/17 - cheap, but a little wide, close to original diameter. 215/45/17 - more expensive than 225/45 but not bad, 1.9% overread. 205/50 - more expensive again, big sidewall, close to original diameter, narrow.
  10. I

17" Wheels on FN2

I have to say I am now truly confused :confused::lol: I think I will go with 225/45/17. Closest to original diameter, cheapest, and wider should give more grip. Plenty of folks online seem to run 225 on 17x7 no problem. It's only for road driving not track driving.
  11. I

17" Wheels on FN2

Okay cheers guys. I think all things considered I'll go 215/50, and accept softer handling in return for a more compliant ride. The tyres for 215/50 aren't as cheap as 215/40 though !
  12. I

17" Wheels on FN2

205/50/18 is the closest in diameter to 225/35/19. Is the only downside of a lot of sidewall slightly less rigidity and so slightly softer handling characteristics?
  13. I

17" Wheels on FN2

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=35&diameter=19&wheelwidth=8&offset=40&width2=205&aspect2=50&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=7&offset2=45 Comparison of 225/35/19 to 205/50/17
  14. I

17" Wheels on FN2

After a lot of reading and playing with calculators, it seems 205/50/17 may be best. Wanted to check that nobody thinks this is a stupid plan?
  15. I

17" Wheels on FN2

Why not? This thread suggests 225/45/17: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/#/topics/107369?page=2. EDIT: Oh wait, keep reading ... 215/45 or 215/50.
  16. I

17" Wheels on FN2

I'm buying an FN2 Saturday on 19" Rages, and it needs four new tyres. I've read that the Rages make the ride very crashy and firm, so I was considering putting 17" EP3 alloys on, which I have sourced for £195 - which is less than the extra cost of four tyres for the Rages over the 17s! I...
Back