• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loud exhaust rattle at idle.

Hello all.

I have recently purchased an 09 FN2, private sale. It has become apparent that there is a loud exhaust rattle at idle, which goes away when driving. It seems to build up as you sit (for example in traffic lights). I had it on ramps at a local chain garage, who suggested it may be some metal in the backbox, but the exhaust looked healthy, so his recommendation was to get the exhaust off and see if any metal comes out. I can't do that until next weekend, but he said it was safe to drive until then.

I wanted to check: does this sound like a likely reason, and is there any common faults that would cause an exhaust rattle at idle? Should I be worried? It seems to be on the right hand side primarily, and goes away if you hold your hand to the exhaust.

Cheers

I don't have an FN2 but any chance it could be a heat shield that's come loose?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I'm the same as above but I would look at heatshields first too before taking the exhaust off. Is it a standard one or aftermarket exhaust?

I would say it's unlikely to be metal in the back box. Probably a heatshield has come loose somewhere. Heatshields can rust apart over time and then rattle around.

Sounds more like a heatshield.

Metal in the exhaust? Hahahaha. That's brightened my morning up.

So had another garage have a look at it. Baffles in the backbox are loose and the back box needs replaced. Safe to drive but will rattle if not done. Quoted 285 if the 'o rings' could be salvaged...400 if not. Gulp.

Plenty of OEMs go on facebook pages for peanuts and you can buy a stainless for £450-550 brand new / £2-300 used.
Wouldn't waste my time or money getting it repaired.

Plenty of OEMs go on facebook pages for peanuts and you can buy a stainless for £450-550 brand new / £2-300 used.
Wouldn't waste my time or money getting it repaired.

This!! Do not go about repairing this exhaust as something else may go wrong with it depending on what was replaced. Drive it around for a bit, get some more cash together if you need to and then splash out on a decent aftermarket one.

Thanks chaps. Initial ownership experienced has been clouded by a few annoyances (corroded alloys, rattly interior, very very firm ride (but this is just a fact of life I think with an FN2 on 19s!), and a smell of dog...) and now this, so safe to say I am not in love with my Type R and looking forward to dropping a wedge on replacing the exhaust. I think I will live with the rattle for the moment, and look to have it replaced post Christmas.

One garage had suggested that I could maybe fish the loose baffles out the backbox to stop the rattle. Any views on whether this would work?

Back