• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. DavidMC

EP3 Honda Civic 2017 + Honda 3D Sound Kit

I don't think this system can do bass that well, no matter what and apparently it has to do with the way Honda EQ the system. However, US forum (noting that they have the boot sub woofer) say it has far greater potential than is released through the factory settings... All very odd and I admit...
  2. DavidMC

EP3 2 NEW type R Models confirmed ! LIGHT WEIGHT & SPORT Line , black seats back too !

The 2020 Sportline might have slightly less 'down force' at the back without the big spoiler but you need to be in triple digits to get any so that's track / autobahn anyway... I have had this machine at around 150mph in Germany and compared to my E46M3 it was super stable. Not that the M3 was...
  3. DavidMC

EP3 Honda Civic 2017 + Honda 3D Sound Kit

Hi all anyone bought this sound upgrade / DSP? Any good? It says works for RHD with 'Honda Connect' and I don't think I know what Honda Connect is. If I buy this car in March at end PCP I want to improve hifi but keep things as OEM as possible. I took out extended warranty on it is part of...
  4. DavidMC

FK8 TA (Traffic Announcements)

Update: You need to be tuned to a BBC FM station - others like classic FM cannot / do not interrupt other radio broadcasts with TA so it seems the head unit won't interrupt any other sound source either. Once tuned to national (I think) BBC output (R1,2,3 or 4) other BBC local / regional...
  5. DavidMC

What did you do to your Type R today?

I'm amazed by the lack of understanding in the dealer network (all brands). My car was obviously set-up with the CBS switched off (it is an option according to the service log book) so I only get an oil 'meter' which I have to seek out in the menus and the car never lets me know anything else...
  6. DavidMC

FK8 Inner rear wheel arch liner problem?

There's always a silver lining :)
  7. DavidMC

FK8 Inner rear wheel arch liner problem?

I'm with you on that. Depending on valuations at PCP end I want to keep this car but... tin worm is a big problem! I'll have to check this out. If it's bad I'm going E92 M3 (and change the big end bearings obvs)...
  8. DavidMC

FK8 Hard Braking : Rear end instability

I guess I really should do this (geo set up). The car has 4 newish tyres on it now and I left the geo as the wear on all 4 looked very even when they came off. Who has the right kit to align these CTRs? BMW's Main Dealer KDS system was the only place I could get the M3 done.. I'd be keen that...
  9. DavidMC

Yes it all sorted itself out with ease of pressure on mid pedal :)
  10. DavidMC

Coming from E46 M3 I have noticed a few time this FK8 CTR seems very light at the back when hard on the brakes. While the pedal feel is good and cornering on the throttle / handling is probably better, the skittish rear end is less confidence inspiring than that 50/50 weight distributed RWD...
  11. DavidMC

FK8 Electric Hand Brake (power use)

I think the way it works is motor on and motor off so no 'fail safe' position hence no power drain when brake in either position... Happy to have that confirmed or denied
  12. DavidMC

FK8 Electric Hand Brake (power use)

Hi all I sometimes leave the CTR parked up for a couple weeks at a time. I have noticed the auto start / stop being disabled a couple times when I do drive it (I often turn it off anyway) and I think this is due to the battery charge being low. I have always left manual cars in gear with hand...
  13. DavidMC

FK8 First Service Oil Change

Yeah its strange: the 0W20 stuff was developed specifically for the type R (blah blah). My CTR was filled with Shell Helix 0W20 at its first change. Dealer invoice even named it... I don't think it matters as the engine is not 'that' highly strung. The E46M3 I has before HAD to use 10W60 of a...
  14. DavidMC

FK8 Cap-less Fuel System

Mine never 'hisses' at all ever. No warnings on dash etc so it's really not an issue.... I just wonder what's going on! ? Also I still feel the TA system is crap on these cars ..... (different topic sorry)
  15. DavidMC

FK8 Cap-less Fuel System

I am happy generally with the cap-less filler. One quick question: for the first few months I owned the car, inserting the filler nozzle, pushing the flap back resulted in a quite satisfying 'hiss'. Presumably vacuum from the fuel drawn from the tank by the pump. As time went on this effect...
  16. DavidMC

FK8 First Service (A plus Oil and Filter) and a question...

Yes my thoughts about the oil exactly : not a problem if it suits 'them' but a potential wriggle if one of 'us' decides to switch. Mind you I bet they'd be hard pressed to take that all the way if the oil has the right spec and is changed at right intervals. My service record is however pretty...
  17. DavidMC

FK8 First Service (A plus Oil and Filter) and a question...

So my car had its first service (I paid for the service pack). It still had 1400 miles to go on the oil count down and the car never 'told' me it needed a service. The dealer emailed inviting me to bring the car in and true enough it was a year since I got it. So far so good although shouldn't...
  18. DavidMC

OMG how is anything old on an FK8 already ? :)
  19. DavidMC

Which screws - is that a rattle hazard?
  20. DavidMC

Seems they are coming through now and audible. I have no idea what I did to get them to work however!
  21. DavidMC

Sorry to bump this but has anyone actually heard a TA over music source USB? I'd like to get that working and I have noticed the info display does actually show I have TA engaged continuously yet never heard anything (or seen the interrupt window again since that one journey as above)?
  22. DavidMC

Anyone else had the TA reminder text coming up while playing music. That's no problem but then there was sound/source change (so no useful info) from the TA in-progress - music just kept playing from USB. The only option is to cancel the TA just to get rid of pointless text message on the...
  23. DavidMC

FK8 Honda closing Swindon plant

Peak oil is a myth. Its only the west that is 'anti fossil fuel' and we will regret it once all of our industry has moved east. Politicians will be fine on fat final salary pensions. Guess who's not going to be fine in the brave new world? Yup, the average jane and joe tax payers (and their kids...
  24. DavidMC

FK8 Rear washer jet

Yes I noticed same - had a look and a bit of a go but concluded : not adjustable. It does 'work' but seems to hit way before the swept bit :(
  25. DavidMC

Hybrid = political motivation and not an engineering solution (or even an environmental one - what ever that is now - follow the money). I know FWD / RWD arguments (ex E46M3 here) etc but that is a cost consideration mostly - so makes some sense at least. What I mean is if the world wakes up...
  26. DavidMC

And our energy system is being wrecked by utterly dumb renewables - too expensive as a result (for us and industry)
  27. DavidMC

FK8 FK8 Oil?

Can you be sure that the type R specific (2.0?) version of the oil is being used at dealers in the correct application? When I bought my CTR they were going to sell me a standard 0W/20 (not the type R specific version) as a top-up to shove in the boot. I didn't bother buying that as it can be...
  28. DavidMC

FK2 Oil

Why on earth did Honda get rid of this useful information on the FK8. Missing my M3 oil temp gauge :(
  29. DavidMC

FK8 Oil usage

Don't 'think' mines used any in 7800 miles (but hard to tell with joke dipstick)! Mine has been redlined a couple times (after 2k running in) and has been autobahn speeds of 130mph for a couple of hours plus a few nice drives up A93 and back :) So about normal for a hot hatch (although no track...
  30. DavidMC

FK8 Brakes

I'm sure you are aware but might be worth saying here anyway that jet wash can actually damage tyres if the high pressure water hits from too close. It can slice into the rubber!
  31. DavidMC

FK8 New Owner - Hi

yes I turn off the start stop every time too :) Hate it. Collision avoidance - hmmm I have had one moment when it applied brakes for a car that was leaving the road into a slip. So yes watch that. I also lock the doors (cos it doesn't do that as per all BMWs since 1990)
  32. DavidMC

FK8 Object approaching warning in rain!

I agree but found you can change settings for it (well I think I did) so it intervenes less often.
  33. DavidMC

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

Thanks Mark (and to the others who replied)... I'll get busy with fine brushes then! Question : are those the OEM disks still (at 12k?)... Cheers :)
  34. DavidMC

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

Hi new topic: Brakes on FK8 A few points to cover... 1.How do the electric parking brakes work (I assume clamping the brake discs)? 2. With that in mind is it best to leave these off when the car is stood as per old school hand brakes (risk of seizing)? - just leave in gear? 3. How best to...
  35. DavidMC

FK8 Any rattles

Must say am pleasantly surprised by lack of rattles - and that's coming from a BMW which despite its miles was pretty solid. Just as well *** cos the hi fi is still feeble (although I'm getting used to it now so it is liveable) ... Great machine over-all :)
  36. DavidMC

FK8 LS Differential

Yeah grainy is a good word - I suppose I hear it more than feel it. Thanks for the confirmation. Interestingly I have never heard the MDiff in my M3 (also mechanical) but it does work as I have felt it on track a couple of times. There is defo some witchcraft at work on the front end of the CTR...
  37. DavidMC

FK8 GT Hifi - poor bass (generally poor sound)

Hi again, thanks for the input here. I'll just get used to the stock sounds and I agree the source of the music seems to make a difference. I'll abandon the OEM sub idea (more weight anyway eh? - guess that's why we Brits missed out on one)..
  38. DavidMC

FK8 Future winter wheels ?

Where do you find the off-set info for a given wheel? I want to buy winters for my CTR this summer too :) The dimensional aspects are new to me however...
  39. DavidMC

FK8 GT Hifi - poor bass (generally poor sound)

Hi all I really love the super modern feel / engine and exhaust sound / performance (as I run it in anyway) of this CTR. My other car (which I may sell soon) is E46M3 SMG. Had that for 13 years !! I think at the higher revs the M3 still howls like nothing else but ... she's getting on and I...
  40. DavidMC

FK8 LS Differential

Hi all sorry for a repost - but I think my question is better in the FK8 part of the forum: Loving the car but curious if groaning / vibration under certain (typically quicker steering inputs) cornering could be the LSD operating or if there is maybe a fault with the diff or the...
  41. DavidMC

Diff Noise

Hi FK8 GT Relatively new to CTR - got mine in March on 1089 miles now :) Love the car (came from - but still own E46M3). I have a groaning / slight vibration sound that I can provoke now by turning in sharply in either direction. At first it seemed random but I feel its consistent now. Defo...
Back