• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. Vitka

Vitka's left hand drive NHB EP3

Mine burned 1l in 500 kilometers before the engine refurb. Oil consumption depends largely on the way the car is used, of course. And as I found, K20s don't like ester and poliol based oils.
  2. Vitka

I thought I'd share a few photos of the car and myself, that were taken on the 2nd of september on the track called Kakucsring. TV_06430 by Gergő Vitányi, on Flickr TV_06418 by Gergő Vitányi, on Flickr TV_05970 by Gergő Vitányi, on Flickr TV_05940 by Gergő Vitányi, on Flickr KG_08940 by Gergő...
  3. Vitka

EP3 - what handling upgrades to get done at the same time

If you are just starting trackdays, then perhaps you don't really need to upgrade your suspension this much at first. I track mine still on stock springs and dampers, EP3s have really good suspension out of the factory. Yes, it could be, and will be better, but if you are just trying out track...
  4. Vitka

Yeah, after doing some reading, I found out, that the oil should not be too cool either, because sulfur and other contaminants will not burn away, and water will have an easier time staying in the engine as well, so an oil temp of 100 C is recommended as minimum. Otherwise, the oil will build up...
  5. Vitka

Best pic from the trackday. We had a brief shower, and I thought I'd slide around a bit in the wet, it is great fun! 285457902_10159816438633905_2454055833210059466_n by Gergő Vitányi, on Flickr
  6. Vitka

An issue I found after putting the engine back together was an oil leak. The guy who did the cylinder head put the VTEC valve gasket back in the wrong way, or maybe the gasket failed, so I put in a new one and the leak was gone. I had to do this before the first track day of the year...
  7. Vitka

The 1000 km running in period had been done a few days ago, this is how the oil looked like at the end. Hardly a drop was missing, so I think we did a good job. 2022-05-16_09-57-58 by Gergő Vitányi, on Flickr I still need to do the valve clearances, set them up to be the tightest according to...
  8. Vitka

This is how the exhaust valves looked after disassembling the head. This is why you don't mix up the valve stem seals Some random pictures of the cylinder head being worked on 278449320_256445906627696_8984559577066833485_n by Gergő Vitányi, on Flickr...
  9. Vitka

Thank you for the kind words guys! Yes, I have a tendency to talk/write a lot, but in this case it might even be a good thing, I like to document the journey of the car in detail. And, as you all know, this isn't my first language, I think it's quite obvious for english people due to the set of...
  10. Vitka

Friendly reminder: make sure you put on the crankshaft position indicator with the OUT-SIDE label being on the outside and save yourself 4 hours of extra work. 1650396306456 by Gergő Vitányi, on Flickr It wasn't a fueling issue. Derp. Fault code said there was something wrong with the...
  11. Vitka

She's finished! We worked on her all day today, and we really did progress fast with 2 guys. After the serious bits, so the connecting rods, ring alignment, torquing the head and cams down, as well as the timing, it was only a question of how fast can we bolt her back together. When we were...
  12. Vitka

Thank you! I pumped 12 hours into it today, and fortunately made some major progress. Every internal component has been cleaned, pistons and rods went in, then we did a static run with continous oiling and cleaning of the cylinders to get rid of metal shavings. Head went on, then the rocker...
  13. Vitka

Status update! Unfortunately progress slowed down a bit, due to the fact, that I had to wait on the cylinder head to be done, and also, my mate who's helping me got sick. We were done with the disassembly anyway, but we ought to continue now, because I am occupying my friends' garage. The...
  14. Vitka

Oh, hello bottom end! 1649322656526 by Gergő Vitányi, on Flickr Conrod bearing sequence was a bit difficult to read 1649322656515 by Gergő Vitányi, on Flickr Where the sun doesn't shine usually 1649322656504 by Gergő Vitányi, on Flickr Pistons are in suprisingly good condition. We thought we...
  15. Vitka

It's been quite a while, since the last update, but I'm happy to say, that the engine refurb I've been yapping about for 3 years almost is finally underway. This was a bitch to get out, as with every Honda. 1649149572479 by Gergő Vitányi, on Flickr I dropped the cylinder head off on sunday at...
  16. Vitka

The last trackday of the year took place this saturday, I had a blast. It was quite chilly in the morning, so all of us FWD guys struggeled with getting heat into the rear tyres. My first 3 stints passed without any mentionable laptime whatsoever, because the rear was just skating around, and I...
  17. Vitka

We did the trackday last friday, and it was a blast. I have to say, after 2020, and the misfortune with the belt in april, it felt good to send her around a track again. When we left home in the morning, I drove in the rain for about 100 km, I really had to take it easy on ice cold NS2Rs...
  18. Vitka

The PS4s were worn, so I bought a set of Nankang NS2Rs and had them fitted yesterday, in preparation for the track day next friday. I only drove home on them, which is about 1 km, so I have yet to try them out, but the guy who fitted them, who is an ex-rally driver said they have a really stiff...
  19. Vitka

Ep3 type r aftermarket catalytic converters.

I too had to get a replacement 2 years ago, and yes, new ones cost a fortune. There are a few aftermarket ones, but those are very expensive as well. Third, there are general catalytic converters with much higher flow rates, compared to the OEM one, but for those, you need to get a custom weld...
  20. Vitka

FK2 E10 Fuel launch in September

I joined this thread exactly, because we've had E10 for almost 2 years now. So i do have quite a bit of first hand experience, and I hope it can be helpful. I have no idea why any website or media source would scare people, by saying, that ethanol is bad for performance cars, while in reality...
  21. Vitka

I think so. Here, in Hungry the vast majority of FK8s have been running on 95RON E10, to no surprise, because it says on the fuel cap, that it's ok. I did quite a bit of reading on FK8 fueling myself, and according to the label, it's understandable. 98 is perfect. You can of course go above...
  22. Vitka

Easy. Adding more ethanol increases the RON value/octane number. I did a short read on this, and saw an australian example. There, they offer E10 94RON. It's made by mixing 91RON petrol and ethanol. So 10% alcohol increases the octane number quite a bit.
  23. Vitka

How could they sell it as 95RON, if it's rated only 91-94RON? Of course, I am in a different country, but 2 years of experience shows, that there is absolutely nothing to worry about. As we wrote above, ethanol has a higher octane value, than petrol. The more you add, the higher the value goes...
  24. Vitka

Hi! We've had E10 95RON in Hungary for about 2 years now, and we came across the same things to worry about. As we say it here, the smoke was bigger, than the flame. Yes, some older cars, even some european models from the early to mid 90's are affected, but any car or motorcycle after that...
  25. Vitka

I put in a few miles this weekend, exclusively in the mountains nearby and it was educational. First of all I need to improve as a driver, need to operate with smoother inputs, not to upset the car, so I will focus on this. Second, maybe it's because of the hot weather we have been experiencing...
  26. Vitka

You can say golden age of Honda again, EP3's got a big brother now. Water pump housing is leak free, throttle cable feels much better than the old one, both cars are like clockwork now. #feelsgoodman Golden age of Honda by Gergő Vitányi, on Flickr
  27. Vitka

Already ordered one from a local car parts store. I hate them, but they are one of the few sources, and they had the best price. It will be here next week. And yes, it seems, that demand for this part was so low, that they stopped production some time ago.
  28. Vitka

I've been trying to find a source for the throttle cable for a few hours now. All4honda doesn't have it, Tegiwa doesn't have it. I called a Honda dealership, they said, that they see 1 piece available in Norway, and they could give me the contact information of the dealership there, and I can...
  29. Vitka

She's back together now, no leaks, as good as ever, we've done a few hundred miles problem free, she'll be fine now. Although, after ripping out the old throttle cable, (didn't come out otherwise) did I realize, that I ordered a right hand drive one... FML
  30. Vitka

Thank you! I do try to keep my english on this level, and even improve if possible.
  31. Vitka

I'd like to sum up the past 2 weeks, mostly for their morbidly comedic values. It would be way too long in detail, so I'll stick to a flow chart format, it's even funnier that way. car arrives home after incident with belt --> take top pulley off, not enough space --> hoist engine up, take off...
  32. Vitka

FFS God damn it!
  33. Vitka

I spent about an hour with her yesterday. At this point I started having an idea on what could be wrong. And this is what I ended up with. As the belt split in 2, it probably got tangled up in there and pulled on the tensioner so hard, that 2 bolts broke. Working in this area is a bitch, but...
  34. Vitka

Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to take a look at it also. Although I do not know what a failed pulley looks like.
  35. Vitka

It wasn't just the belt... I don't know what it is yet, but as soon as I put the new one on, and started her up, the belt immediately slipped to the side. It didn't fall off completely, it was about 1/3 off and stayed there. With the belt off, the whole assembly, which holds the top pulley and...
  36. Vitka

Very glad! The side wire in the belt got separated on the full length, so I ended up with 2 loops. The smaller one got ejected through the bottom, and the wider one slid to the side, and stopped there, as on the image. Best possible outcome at the best moment. Have I had it worse, it could've...
  37. Vitka

First trackday of the year! Chilly weather, windy, but it was awesome to get back together with the group I do trackdays with. It was about 10 degrees celcius, which meant, that the PS4s kept up better, than usual. But after only 1 stint of 7 laps, the V-belt gave up, thankfully in the paddock...
  38. Vitka

EP3 What did you do to your EP3 today?

Although it saddens me to see an EP3 sold, it's always a new car for someone else. As Flashy said, it can fit my road bike too, quite easilly, but of course there are situations in life, when you don't want/can't make use of a sporty car. Since mine has the weekend car/garage queen status now, I...
  39. Vitka

how come?
  40. Vitka

It feels like it's been forever since the last update. I haven't done anything to the car for about 18 months, apart from putting in a new water pump. It's been rough, and that's putting it very mildly, I was close to having to sell her, and I would've, if not for my girlfriend and parents. I...
  41. Vitka

Paid yearly insurance, petted the box of the EBC yellowstuff pads I got for christmas, and transferred the attendance fee for the first trackday of the year, which will be on the 3rd of april. Can't wait to be there.
  42. Vitka

Hazz's 1971 mental Mini Clubman - JDM B18CR engine

I just hope you have the suspension, LSD, and brakes to match. Even as NA it had the power to weight ratio of a Ferrari F360, now it's gonna be supercar fast.
  43. Vitka

Injen is still good :) Although a piece of advice regarding it has me worried. A guy, who has respectable knowledge about K20 engines told me, that due to various CAIs used in EP3s, he has seen AFR as high as 13.5 in VTEC. He said, he has seen pretty ****ed up K20 engines do to the lean mixture...
  44. Vitka

My one and only track day of the year. Nice weather, good people, everything was perfect. Same as last year, the PS4s overheated, this is not the kind of driving they were made for. I improved my laptime by 3 tenths, which I am very happy about, but I still need a bigger pair in some corners...
  45. Vitka

As we say it in Hungary, "may the prophet speak through you"
  46. Vitka

They said, they haven't even tried.
  47. Vitka

My overheating problem is finally fixed! Have you ever seen anything like this? My theory is, that one of the previous owners put coolant sealer in the car. It's like a brownish powder, when it dries. It could be rust, but since the engine, and the radiator are both aluminium, it is unlikely...
  48. Vitka

I started getting the water pump out, and for this I needed to get the crank pulley off. A normal braker bar didn't work. A 6 foot cheater bar didn't work. An electric impact wrench didn't work. A heavy-duty pneumatic gun didn't work. Next stop is something bigger.
  49. Vitka

My last few days in pictures. I've spent way too much time doing this. It began as an overheating problem, but since I have the time nowadays, due to not having a job, I decided to put in a new heater core. It was a hell of a job, the disassembly itself almost took 12 hours. I...
  50. Vitka

EP3 EP3 dash removal

I finally decided to do it. Getting to this point took about 10 hours total. It would've probably taken less time for someone with experience and traning. The service manual helped a lot, although it doesn't list many of the things you have to do to get the dashboard out. Apart from the bolts...
  51. Vitka

Following the symptoms, it's probably not an airlock. Considering the amount of brownish muck I found in the system previously, covering the cap, the thermostat, and the heater core, because I've had no heating since I bought the car, it's most probably clogged. There is some bad weather coming...
  52. Vitka

"It's only 3 bolts, honey" I wonder what the problem could be :smt102 Flushed the engine, and this came out. It still overheats ](*,):smt013:smt067:smt097 I need Jesus at this point.
  53. Vitka

She's been sitting for almost the entirety of the winter, we just started seeing some nice weather, so I thought I'd take her for a small trip home to may parents. Then this happened. My jaw dropped, when I saw it. I shut the engine off immediately, and stopped, but she already blew the hose...
  54. Vitka

NHB EP3 06 Premier Edition

Tapatalk works for a lot of people in here, but since you have problems with it, it's worth trying uploading to flickr, and embedding them from there.
  55. Vitka

EP3 EP3 dash removal

I have not done it yet. My income dropped to less than half of what it used to be, so most of my plans are currently pending. I haven't even bought winter tyres, because I am planning on using my girlfriend's little car during winter. I changed the coolant after I bought the car, and that helped...
  56. Vitka

Is it blue smoke out of the exhaust? Personally I don't have much blue smoke, if any, but major oil consumption. I am planning to change the valve steam seals and the piston rings, and this should help solve the problem at a reasonable cost. Maybe you can get away with such a "small" job too...
  57. Vitka

EP3 Flashy's CG EP3 premier

I think that all depends on where you want to take a look at the difference, and where the difference is. If the difference is only at the very top, you would only be able to see it on the drag strip or something similar. Then again, if there's only a 5-10 bhp difference, but the car has a nice...
  58. Vitka

I didn't want to post the song, but
  59. Vitka

https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?105376-EP3-onboard-track-videos&p=1401895#post1401895
  60. Vitka

I did my first track day ever last weekend on 4 wheels. I was so happy to have finished everything I wanted to do on the car. Everything went well, of course my driving skills still need much honing, although I was glad, that I could transfer some of my track experience from 2 wheels. Best day...
  61. Vitka

I have OEM shocks ;)
  62. Vitka

Lookin' good! Will you also have camber arms and camer bolts? Or do you already have them?
  63. Vitka

I'll have a look when I get home, thanks for the hint.
  64. Vitka

When fully warmed up it's a bit quieter, but still firmly audible. This is why I think it's a leak, because of how the metal expands and closes the gap a bit. The clearances have been done a few weeks ago, and I've checked all you wrote, but it was neither. The chirping was present way before I...
  65. Vitka

It's coming from somewhere around the exhaust manifold. It always feels like the source of the noise is not far from my feet, somewhere in the back of the engine bay. It's throttle poisiton dependant, and I can only hear it at lower revs, up to about 3k rpm (it probably is present at higher revs...
  66. Vitka

I treated the sealing surfaces with some sandpaper and fitted it dry. The old one was fitted dry as well and I saw no signs of leakage on it.
  67. Vitka

Ep3 tyre size

I saw a guy, who ran 225/45s on the stock alloys, they fit, but they looked very fat. Either stock 205/45, or 215/40 would be the way to go for me.
  68. Vitka

I helped a mate this week by taking him to get the servo line welded on his Accord. As we hit the road, he immediately heard the chirping from near the exhaust manifold and asked me if the gasket had a leak, because it sounded exactly like that. I was happy he noticed, I've been struggeling with...
  69. Vitka

The ripped rubber dome from the left side half-axle was removed and we put on a new one. The joint didn't want to come off, so we had to remove the whole thing and use a press to get it off. While doing this, I decided to remove the balancer ring. We call them "rotter rings", I've seen many...
  70. Vitka

The last 2 days have been an emotional roller-coaster. It turned out, that the parts shop got me the wrong bushing for the front wishbones, the inner ones instead of the front ones. Finally they arrived, and I took the car to the suspension shop, where my friend works. They began taking it...
  71. Vitka

EP3 Radiator

When mine got punctured, I went with a fairly priced aftermarket replacement. It was very easy to fit, and has been fine ever since, temps are where they should be. For a daily driver, or dominant road use, it's ok. The stock cooler size on EP3s is huge anyway, no matter how hot it was outside...
  72. Vitka

N77's ex now being sorted by Simon & Jamie

Anti-theft pitchfork?
  73. Vitka

EP3 Any other power mods worth doing?

I'm having vietnam flashbacks of university maths, integral, derival :smt119
  74. Vitka

EP3 Any other power mods worth doing?

Possibly from the FN2s weight.
  75. Vitka

Today was the long awaited day of fitting the RPB front brake discs, yellowstuff pads, oem rear wheel studs, braided brake lines, and changing the brake fluid to EBC 5.1. We did it in the garage of the future father in law of one of my friends. That garage is a piece of automotive heaven, and...
  76. Vitka

The JDM anti roll bar to me was a very pleasant surprise. The EDM EP3s have slight understeer as stock, the thicker ARB makes all of it disappear. I have not had the opportunity to try it on track, but on the street it improves the balance by a great deal. The car just becomes much more...
  77. Vitka

EP3 EP3 dash removal

Will I be able to get to the venting box and heater core with just the center console out?
  78. Vitka

EP3 EP3 dash removal

My heater core is clogged, I want to replace it before the cold sets in, because I have not had much heating, if any in the car since I bought it. For this, I need to remove the entirety of the front dash, along with many things. I've never done this before, but I know it's a long and tough job...
  79. Vitka

Good on you! I will do the same (only with RPB and yellowstuff), plus braided lines and fluid on saturday.
  80. Vitka

Front lower chassis brace

There definitely is a very good reason for the bar being there. I'm no automotive engineer, but every component has a very good reason for being in their place, especially braces.
  81. Vitka

Front lower chassis brace

You definitely need that! I couldn't find the thread, but someone changed theirs recently, because of the same issue. Take a look around the forum, EP3 topics in members' cars, anywhere at all, there definitely was a post about this in the last 1-2 weeks.
  82. Vitka

Civic type r ep3 temperature control (not blowing heat)

Nope, only 1 cable, sorry about that. It's spring loaded with 1 cable.
  83. Vitka

my type r premier edition

Nah, it's absolutely understandable, thanks. In the meantime I looked up some info on what it does, and it is exactly as you said.
  84. Vitka

What is the age and mileage of your CTR?

2003 pre-facelift EP3, 114k miles.
  85. Vitka

Civic type r ep3 temperature control (not blowing heat)

Hello! What you have is a common problem in MK7 Civics in general, your heater valve probably seized. This is why your temp control switch is stiff, and when you heard the snap, either the cables going to the heater valve snapped, or the switch itself did. If you look at the picture, the blue...
  86. Vitka

Not too shabby, you just have to look at it from a distance. :lol: Of course, brake dust everywhere instantly.
  87. Vitka

my type r premier edition

Looking great! Can you please tell me what a baffled sump is, and what it does? My english falls short sometimes :)
  88. Vitka

I mostly agree, I would deep fry and eat my own balls, before I put on a tow hook or strap. Also, I never understood these crazy camber angles. In general, most "tuned" cars of present times make me sick. Then again, most people mix up styling with tuning.
  89. Vitka

Already took it back this morning, excuses and empty talk all around, I am not going near that place ever again. W@nkers. The alloys will look much better, than before, even in this state, so I will put the wheel tape on (cheers Hazz), have the tyres fitted and put the wheels back on this...
  90. Vitka

Exactly my thoughts. If they knew this would happen based on 20 years of experience, why didn't they bother to tell me beforehand? Second solution: they knew this would happen, they should've ordered the spray paint at the very beginning, and present the alloys to me after they've done all the...
  91. Vitka

Here are some pictures of the end result. The guys at the company told me, that the narrow radiuses, and the small gaps between the spokes are electrostatically shadowed, so the powder will not stick to those places. This method is very similar to powder coating, only the layer is thinner. It...
  92. Vitka

Originally I wanted a stripe painted on the edges of the rims, but the company said they can't do it. Of course this would've been of higher standard, but what's wrong with wheel tape? Is it a lame thing to do? I saw it on lots of cars, even on FK8s etc. I'll take some pictures and put them on...
  93. Vitka

All this stuff is waiting to be fitted. I'm planning to do most of it next saturday, maybe the wheel stripe and lugnuts earlier. Talking of which, I just got the alloys back from the powder-coating company, and they did such a shitty job, that I'm taking them back tomorrow. Seriously, I wouldn't...
  94. Vitka

Sorry, this is where my english fails me. Clear coated in satin? Is satin a level of glossiness? So like matte -> satin -> gloss? I think we refer to this as silk in hungarian.
  95. Vitka

Try and get some pictures up of the problem, and the area around. Maybe we'll be able to spot what's wrong. I use flickr and then embed.
  96. Vitka

Well, there's much more to it, than the drivetrain, but I understand what you mean. It's not some crazy exotic marque, it's a Honda, and from Jazz to NSX, they are all bulletproof.
  97. Vitka

Why isn't this a video?
  98. Vitka

I picked my alloys up yesterday, after they've been sandblasted. They look much better already, so much better in fact, that I played with the thought of having them clear coated and putting them on like this :D That would certainly be unique. I took them to the painting company this morning...
  99. Vitka

Sorry to hear about your problems, it really is surprising to me, that an EP3 is behaving like this. One of the main reasons I bought an EP3, and not something else, is the legendary Honda reliability. By my experience, albeit only 6 months, the car is holding together nicely, which is nice to...
Back