• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

£4000-£5000 budget

hey thanks for the reply. i guess i didnt really think about them using old parts to fix up the car. i think that i wouldnt mind getting one that had pictures to show previous damage. i.e. from the side scrape or something. also if it was light cat D then i dont think it would be much of a problem as i do 'plan' to keep the car for a while as it seems like a timeless car.
i could get a pre-facelift but i really dont like it lol, i like the bigger badge and the more buggy looking eyes of the new one and i fell in love with that one lol1

I think everyone would agree, don't buy a cat D

i think you are hoping, stretch your budget, you do get what you pay for and a cheaper trashed or needing work type r will cost far more in the future.

You'll be lucky to get a Type-R with 65-85k on the clock for £4500 unless you're prepared to buy a Cat C, which I would definitely not advise unless you know exactly what happened to it. Maybe one with 100k miles is more optimistic (which in many cases is as bad as a Cat C looks-wise). I started out with a budget of 5k not long ago, but I got so sick of looking at so many wrecks in the end I just bought an absolute beauty final edition for 8k. It's really not worth spending 4.5k on a car that's on it's last legs, if you can, try spending a bit more on a beauty that'll last you longer and is therefore cheaper in the long-run.

Advice when buying - ALWAYS have it HPIed - of all cars Type Rs are the most important to have HPIed as I find they are more likely to have dodgy history than any other car, especially for that money. Also - if it looks nice on the inside/outside, be wary as garages are notorious for changing the gearknob/seats etc to make it look nice when the inside it actually falling to pieces. And garages do not know how the car has been treated previously, no matter how much they claim to. One man at a garage gave me an obvious load of bullshit about the type R just being "hard on the steering to improve the handling" when I know for a fact it was pulling to the side. Out of interest - that car was selling for 13k at the garage, when I bought the EXACT same in better condition privately for 8k. Lesson learned - buy privately.

Also, if you are looking at a lower budget, I would advise buying a silver Type R as they are cheaper than all the other colours. (I think it is the only type of car I have seen colour make THAT much of a difference and I'm talking anywhere between £250-£1000), though the garages don't seem to recognise this, autotrader prices sure do.

Also, with type Rs, and in particular a low budget, do be prepared for some damage. Be wary of NHB owners who haven't cleaned their car. A clean NHB shows off anyyy problems/scrapes/touch-ups very nicely.

One last piece of advice - it's good to meet the person you're buying off to see what kind of a character they are - are they likely to have mistreated it? why are they selling it? do they obviously care for the car? A high owner-turnover = bad news. It's much better to buy a type R from someone who has had it a long time. If you are buying it off someone who is selling it after owning it for 2 months, alarm bells should be ringing and there could be a problem with it.

One last point, sorry to break it to you, but I think with that budget a face-lift model is out of the question unless you are prepared to wait a loooooong time.

Hope this helps, and I apologise in advance for the lack of technical terminology. If I have got anything wrong I also apologise.

Sarah

Ok, pm me your vital statistics and I will see what I can do :lol:

NORMAL-single-red-rose-(india).png

Dream on. :).

See - that's the sort of mileage you'll get for that price, and in silver. Not a bad car for the price, but I'd be reluctant to buy ANY car that's got over 100k on the clock.

Last edited by a moderator:
haha yeah true, is that a picture of a tight ass lol
just wondering you think its worth buying a Cat D? whats resale value like those? have any 2004 CTRs go for about 6k? (realistically my upper limit i think)

EDIT: just read the previous post. what kind of problems?

I've heard that Cat Cs sell for 30% less than the normal market value, I would expect around the same or less for a Cat D - although it totally depends on what damage has actually been done. And the same goes for buying a Cat D - it's important to find out what actually happened to it. I wouldn't write one off (excuse the pun) completely because if a car is stolen and reported to the police, and then the insurance company pay out for the loss, but the car is later found completely undamaged, that car is a Cat D I do believe, though may be wrong. If you're looking to own one for the long-haul then that wouldn't be so bad, until you came to re-sell... Though as a general rule I wouldn't advise. The air-bags could have gone off and some amateur has re-fitted them so they won't work in a future crash. I know Cat Cs have to be stamped by the DVLA, but Cat Ds don't. 2004 CTRs do go for 6k - but you'd be looking at one that's done a fair few miles.

Back