• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 02 EP3 Running Rough

Hi I've been driving my ep3 about for a week now, slowly getting it sorted after I got it from someone who just didn't have a clue what they were doing. Took the car to elite direct in Rainham to get the tracking sorted out and the mechanic said it was in a right old mess under there all sorted now. When I got the car I new the engine light was on due to a 02 sensor but would that make It run rough and it also smells a bit rich as well. I was looking under the hood and noticed the k&N typhoon induction kit has not got the pipes going into the engine, would this make it idle bad and fill like its going to cut out. Runs fine till it comes of choke any help would be great. I know the best place to start will be the 02 sensor but cant get this till the end of the month. Also he said there was no middle section just a straight through pipe I will also be getting this at the end of the month as well.

The pipes are from the rocker cover and water pump IIRC. The water pump one is to release any air in the system generated by the pump and the rocker cover one is to vent on expansion as the head warms up. You want both of these pipes on as you don't want damp atmospheric air going the other way into them, well damper than would be in a dry intake pipe.

Neither of these would make it run rough in the short term. It will be the O2 sensor. The ECU uses it (amongst other sensors) to calculate how much fuel to throw in.

Fingers crossed that's all that is causing the rough running.

EP3s don't have a MAF sensor, they run on MAP and intake temp.

Thanks for the reply's I've ordered both sensors for the car as I don't know what one is playing up, wow didn't know they were so expensive. I was thinking about getting one of those him/hds of eBay so if I get anymore problems I can plug it in and know what is needed. Was wondering if anyone has one or can recommend one to me that would be great.

Cool going to order that tomorrow as I've got to get a 02 sensor and don't know what one to get as there are two of them. Spending about £20 to save £40 :smt047

It'll more than likely be the secondary sensor, and unless you get the Honda official one, it'll fail again soon.

I got my secondary sensor from Mat Lewis motorsport. It's the NGK one that Honda use as mine went about a year ago. Stuck this one in and been fine ever since . see here : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Civ...05&prg=10621&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=150418279895&rt=nc

Thanks for the link nosman I will order this tonight just want to get the engine sorted before I start to push it. I've not even gone into vtec since I've owned it. Got car booked into Honda for a health check as well in November

Back