• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

'02 Satin Silver EP3 from Austria

Hi guys,

I've been following the forum for quite some time, as I'm currently searching for inspiration what to do with my CTR.
While going through countless threads, I decided to introduce myself and the little silver racer.

As the title said I'm from Austria (near Salzburg) and I'm owning the EP3 since June 2009.

That's a pic from the day I bought it:

The car was stock except from KAW springs, lowering the car 30 mm on the front and 25 mm on the back.
I left the car untouched quite a while, I only swappend the Pioneer P88 headunit from my previous car, a '00 Civic EJ9 with an astonishing 90 horsepowers :lol: (this car is still owned by my brother)

Here are some pictures from a small private meet we did in summer 2010:

That's a friend's EP3, who unfortunately died in a fatal crash 4 years ago, which ripped the car apart in 3 parts, killing him and his girlfriend :(

That's my old EJ9, driven by my little brother. He installed a new intake and exhaust manifold and was able to increase power output of that
little 1,4 l engine. But still got that farty magnaflow muffler on it :lol:

For a few months I had tinted rear lights which caught attention of the cops, almost taking my plates...

I still love how they looked, but it's way too risky and not worth it.
Also during that time I bought a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 in Anthracite grey, as well as a full catback Gruppe A Bastuck exhaust system.

In summer 2011 I decided to get rid of the springs and bought a set of brand new Eibach Pro Street coilovers

They offer much better ride quality and are not simply stiff as the springs. Now the car sits slightly higher than before, but that's something that's
on my To-Do list for the next months.

Here's what the car looks like now, I only removed all those stupid stickers in the meantime ;)

Last summer I did the Hondata-mod to the OEM intake and installed a custom-made intake, which routes the air directly from the grille to the airbox.
Just got no pictures of it.

What's coming next:
  • Changing the transmission oil
  • Grab a Mugen (style) wing
  • Lower the car
  • Updating the audio system (previous owner was a moron with his install...)
  • Re-install the race cat converter (had to weld a spacer for the front O2 sensor on it, as the old spacer went loose on the Autobahn :lol:)

That's the plan for now, let's see how it all works out.

The car is currently waiting at my grandma's garage for the summer, I'm lucky enough to have a second car for daily use.
Thanks to my Mrs. she didn't made me sell it when our little boy was on the way and we bought a bigger flat (she actually said "Don't you ever sell that Type R") and thanks to a very well executed job change
I was able to buy this as my daily in 2009:

Although it's a "diseasel" (loving that word :D) it's a really comfy ride and perfect for every day use.

So far for now, I hope you like that pictures, looking forward to your opinions.

Cheers,
Mike

Very nice, love those wheels and Mugen wing will set that off!

Sorry to hear about your friend and his girlfriend, sounded brutal. :(

Thanks for your comments guys.

What kept me from buying a Mugen wing is the fact, that the 3rd brake light is absolutely necessary in Austria. I'm currently looking for good solutions to solve this.

Meanwhile I got the spacers for the front door speaker install, got a pair of Focal 165 KR waiting to be fitted. Hopefully they will, they are pretty huge...

Cheers
Mike

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mini mit Tapatalk

Hi folks,

today I had some spare time and unmounted the door panel to see why the speakers the previous owner installed stopped working.
And well, what can I say, that guys should never install speakers again:

The crossovers just laid in the door behind the speakers, not protected at all. I'm surprised they kept working for so long, every piece of metal on them is just rust. Guess I'll rip them out including the cables, I'm thinking
about going fully active with the new speakers, just trying to find a nice small 4-channel amp which doesn't cost the world.

I also came across a problem. My shift knob won't come off. It's not installed with a counter nut as I've seen on many of your pictures, it just sits there. Makes me think somebody had glued it onto the shift lever?
Does anybody have any ideas how to get that thing of?

Cheers
Michael

Masking tape around the knob and a big pair of monkey grips. Just be sure you go anti clockwise looking down on the knob.

Will give it a try, I already tried with a clamp and rubber underlay mat, also with a oil filter wrench with a rubber belt. Doesn't move at all..

Thanks buddy, took ages to get them. Waited for weeks because the shop where I ordered them kind of forgot my payment and therefore didn't ship them. And guess what, when they arrived they had the wrong pattern...

So I sent them back to the shop, and these nice people told me I damaged the wheels and therefore they can't accept the return. Lucky me, I took pictures before I shipped them. But after another 3 weeks I finally had my new wheels.

Won't ever buy the smallest screw in this store again..

Cheers
Mike

sent from my mobile with Tapatalk

Heat the knob up with a hairdryer or heat gun first, some of them are glued on, this will help melt/soften the glue a bit, then try again with the grips, you may have to keep repeating the heating process though

So finally, the bloody thing is off:

First I tried heating it up with a hairdryer, I felt this could take ages so I tried my little blowtorch which I usually use for lighting my cigars :lol:
Still not the success I was hoping, so I took the pipe wrench. Wrapped it with some protective tape and within 2 minutes the knob was off. Not completely undamaged, but I've seen far worse :lol:

Then I carried on removing the whole center console, using your guides here didn't entirely work out for me, as our heater/blower switches are different. When I read the german DIYs I found out, that most people there
went far too complicated, so I combined the best of both worlds. I simply unscrewed the two 8 mm bolts on the sides, removed the heater unit from the console and everyhing went out smoothly.

The fiddliest part was removing the bowden cables, but basically very straight forward. Now ready to order a Skunk2 knob, Tegiwa bushings, maybe also shortshifter and a suede gaitor to finish it.
The center console will be carbon style wrapped, we'll see how this is going to look, actually not quite sure yet, but I got a package at home and will give it a try.

There it is, waiting for spring to arrive :smt054

Cheers
Mike

The gear knob must have been on pretty tight! The Skunk2 gear knob along with the short shifter is heavenly, shift action is much nicer and throw is a lot shorter too. One of the most under rated things to do IMO as it make such a difference to how the car drives.

It was tight as hell, I've read somewhere around here that obviously the knobs are glued in some EP3s. Mine also had no counter nut.

I wasn't sure about the short shifter, where I live they are more like a "ricer gadget", that's why I never thought about it. But the more I read about it here the more I want it :)

Cheers
Mike

sent from my mobile with Tapatalk

Just a little interior update now the car is back on the road

Wasn't expecting too much from that carbon look wrap, but I think it looks quite well. Never really liked the silver console though...
Removing he heater unit was a real pain with the two bowden cables for position and temperature.

Next to come is a speaker update, I bought smaller 13 cm Focal speakers, there's no way to fit the big 16,5 cm Focals without cutting the doors,
which I am not willing to do. Also got the OEM tweeter mounts which fit almost perfect for the Focal tweeters.

I'm planning a bit of suspension maintenance for the next weeks, the car feels a bit "worn" so I'm going to sort this out before going to other mods.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Back