• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

05 ctr revs itself when cold

hi people , new to this site as im on the look out for a ctr , viewed an 05 model today from main dealer , but when the car was started from cold the car was reving itself , it would not idle at a steady rev , the dealer tells me they all do this if they aint been run for a while , once it got warmed up it settled down to just under 1000 rpm , i find it strange that the revs were going up and down by itself , thanks for your help ....

My FN2 did this for about a week after I bought it and I knew it had been at the garage 2 months before I bought it.

It's settled down since, but it's a different engine so I don't kniow. My EP3 never did this, but it never got stood for any length of time.

thanks loxy , i been looking on you tube and there is a video of a ctr doing this , i dont know if i should walk away from this car and wait untill another comes along

thanks loxy , i been looking on you tube and there is a video of a ctr doing this , i dont know if i should walk away from this car and wait untill another comes along

To be honest if you've got any doubts about a car, walk away from it. Even if there is nothing wrong with it, you will forever believe there is, and never be happy with it.

There are plenty of CTRs out there for sale, just hold out for one that you are happy with.

I have never had this even after a long time standing. Walk away or revisit in a week or so to see what the cold startup is like after not such a long time standing.

The IACV needs cleaning. An easy job, normally a good thrashing cleans it. Nothing to worry about to be honest.

Not wanting hijack the thread but on a slightly different note, with the cold weather of late my CTR EP3 seems to be very hesitant - more so when cold but sometimes even when warm. On the worst occassion it was that bad it was like it was 'coughing & sputtering' :confused:

Not wanting hijack the thread but on a slightly different note, with the cold weather of late my CTR EP3 seems to be very hesitant - more so when cold but sometimes even when warm. On the worst occassion it was that bad it was like it was 'coughing & sputtering' :confused:

Could be leaves in your intake/airbox

Ah.... scrub that idea then :lol:

Although i only use V-Power and i NEVER let the tank get to the point where the light comes on, i'm begining to think that maybe i'd picked up a bad batch of fuel. I've filled up again receently and -touch wood - it seems to have got a lot better to the point where i didn't even notice it driving in this morning.

Back