• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

17" Wheels on FN2

I'm buying an FN2 Saturday on 19" Rages, and it needs four new tyres. I've read that the Rages make the ride very crashy and firm, so I was considering putting 17" EP3 alloys on, which I have sourced for £195 - which is less than the extra cost of four tyres for the Rages over the 17s!

I wanted to check that a) the EP3 alloys will fit b) what size of tyre to put on - 225/45? and c) that it won't look completely ridiculous (not that I care an awful lot about aesthetics - but it's a milano red ep3 and black ep3 alloys).

Cheers

After a lot of reading and playing with calculators, it seems 205/50/17 may be best. Wanted to check that nobody thinks this is a stupid plan?

205/45 is the stock size, 215/40 is the preferred size for most members, myself included. 225s are really too wide for the wheel. 205/50 would be a lot of sidewall.

205/50/18 is the closest in diameter to 225/35/19. Is the only downside of a lot of sidewall slightly less rigidity and so slightly softer handling characteristics?

Exactly. If I was in your situation I'd go for 215/40 and lower the car 15-20mm to make up for the increased arch gap. Just live with the speedo overestimation.

Okay cheers guys. I think all things considered I'll go 215/50, and accept softer handling in return for a more compliant ride. The tyres for 215/50 aren't as cheap as 215/40 though !

I have to say I am now truly confused :confused::lol:

I think I will go with 225/45/17. Closest to original diameter, cheapest, and wider should give more grip. Plenty of folks online seem to run 225 on 17x7 no problem. It's only for road driving not track driving.

Options:

225/45/17 - cheap, but a little wide, close to original diameter.
215/45/17 - more expensive than 225/45 but not bad, 1.9% overread.
205/50 - more expensive again, big sidewall, close to original diameter, narrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised 225 fit the original EP3 wheel without problem given the width of the tyre. Plenty sticks out with the 215.

Loads of DC5 owners use 225/45 on the standard 17' wheels and they're 7' wide too. They look a little chunky but nobody has reported any problems and they've been doing it for years!
I have two Goodyears in the above size I'm willing to sell if you're in the Cardiff area..

People only use 225s because they're cheaper (because it's a much more common size) & there's more options, not because they deliver the best performance. They don't cause any 'problems' but they do adversely affect handling.

I've had enough now, buy whatever the fcuk you want.

Back