• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

18 incher

How do 18's effect your ride. Is it a challenge? Does it follow the road all over the place or is it fine? :?: [/list]

lightweight 18" are ok

u gota drop the profile thou 35, and fit maybe a 225 tyre

then its nearly the same (speed wont be out) as a 205/45/17

I am wanting to buy the composite alloys that are in the classifieds, They are 8X18" fitted 215/40 18" Falken FK451 tyres

In my opinion stick to 17's!

Ive got 18's on im just waiting for the tyres to be used up and then i ll go back to 17's

I have seen a set of black alloys with a chrome lip but i heard that it makes the alloys look smaller. Should i buy 18 inchers

best thing to do is go to a meet and see some CTRs with 17s and 18s on and decide yourself. IMO aftermarket 17s look too small.

You can always go up to R-Tec and theyll put the wheels against the car for you and see how they look

18s or 17s

can someone actully give a clear answer on this subject please ? is it worth puttin 18s on or just stick with 17s also does a 225 tyre go on a 2003 ctr with no rubbing probs ? and do they give better grip ? any suggestions for choice of alloy been looking at rota subzeros ....thanx :?

I've got 18" Rota subzeros on, but decided to go for the 215/35/18 Toyo Proxes T1-R's rather than the 225's. :wink:

Before that I was running 215/35/19's with no rubbing issues either.

On both these sets of alloy's I'm running Spoon Sports springs, and with the Subzero's I'm using a 5mm spacer on the front's to help clear the brake calipers (Spoon 4 Pots).

Other than that, they run fine, never catch, have excellent grip etc. Although the 17's are better on potholed roads as they aren't a crashy. I wouldn't imagine you'd have any issues running 225 tyres as the steering lock on CTR's is pretty poor! :lol: And I've not had any real tramlining issues on 18's or 19's... it does a bit, sometimes, but I think that may have a little to do with the Quaife Diff.

As for giving better grip? :? Maybe, I haven't really noticed, It's certainly no worse. I think a lot of that will be down to what tyres you choose to fit. :)

18s

thanx for reply . what colour is your ctr ? you got any pics available ? i fancy putting black or graphite on mine as is black car ... the stealth look ? you mentioned slip diff ? is it worth changin then ? thanx alex

Re: 18s

jocksaway said:
thanx for reply . what colour is your ctr ? you got any pics available ? i fancy putting black or graphite on mine as is black car ... the stealth look ? you mentioned slip diff ? is it worth changin then ? thanx alex

Alex,

Under my name and location in the bit to the left...

<--
<--
<--

Click on the '2002 Civic Typre R' bit and it'll take you to pictures of my motor. :wink: It's also got the list of bits and bobs thats been done to it... i.e Slip Diff

Mine's satin silver and so I went for silver subzero's with a polished lip. I think they look the absolute t*ts on a subtly lowered CTR. But IMO the polished lip wheels are better suited to summer use only, the polished lip is laquered on them and they can take a lot of time to keep looking good.

I'd personally go for all painted wheels, which I am doing soon (see my thread in this section a few posts down), and as I've got a bit of a contrasting carbon theme going on I'm gonna go drarker wheels... In my case bronze. 8)

I'm gonna pop on my standard rims in a couple of weeks and roll out the new Rotas in spring time :D

As for the slippy diff... It's a great mod, adds to the grip out of corners tremendously. Gives some nice feedback if your sending it on, but if your just pottering about in traffic you hardly notice it. Mine's got the Quaife ATB Limited Slip Diff, which is a fit and forget unit, and a lot less harsh than some other units (usually plate type diffs)... But it depends what your after.

As for if/when to get the diff, if you only ever plan to add a cat back exhaust and induction kit and other small power increasing mods, the money may be better off in your pocket.
But if you plan to eventually add a fair amount of extra power to your car (250+ flywheel bhp), as I do, it's almost essential to get the best from it.

Col.

I have been running 18's for 2 years on mine. The handling is unaffected. In fact it seems a little more positive to me...perhapse due to slightly less sidewall flex(?) or so it seems to me.

I am running Buddy Club rims and Parada Spec2's.

Oh there is one draw back. You get a little less rim protection, and you have to be carefull (even more than usual) when parking up, also you have to be extra wary of potholes as was said above.

18s

thanx for the replies lads very helpful, have already done the spoon n1 cat back and aem cai , really just deciding what next ? k-pro / header/ wheels/lowering springs ????? oh for a win on lottery eh :the cars looking good judderman thanx :D

The K-pro, well set up will really help get the most out of your set up. However, for me a when I got the car set up to a decent fast road spec made a huge difference to turn in and steering feel. Also replacing the bridgestones, imho really helped as well. I really liked the toyos, however all round I have to say the Yokohama paradas are super good. Better than the toyos in the dry, and not far off 'em in the wet.

G said:
I have been running 18's for 2 years on mine. The handling is unaffected. In fact it seems a little more positive to me...perhapse due to slightly less sidewall flex(?) or so it seems to me.

I am running Buddy Club rims and Parada Spec2's.

Oh there is one draw back. You get a little less rim protection, and you have to be carefull (even more than usual) when parking up, also you have to be extra wary of potholes as was said above.

i had G's old rims which were 18x7.5 with a 225 boot on them.

had no handling issues at all

and i reconed them with black spokes and polished lip and they didn't look small

104489-1.jpg

k-pro

yes k-prp looks like being next ,hopefully will make the trip to tdi north in near future . although also on lookout for some alloys 18"s. :?the batmobile looking good , black really suits type r eh ? ..... alex

Back