• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

18" to 17" wheels on FN2

17" or 18"

• 17"

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • 18"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hey everyone :) , apologies if that has been posted somewhere but I couldn't find it ..

My current set up is 18x9.5+35 Advan RG .. but I got offered a swap for 17" set of Volk CE28 which I've always wanted on my Fn2..

The car is my daily driver and it is running coilovers, also I like my car basically stock height.. just about 10mm lower.

I will be buying a fresh set of tyres with the Volks.. I will be running 235/45/17 all around.. but I wanted to make sure was if anyone has experience with 17s

If you do or know someone, how is it in terms of daily driving?

How do you find the appearance of it? Do you find its too small on the chasis.. or does it not even simply make a difference ?

I have also heard/read that it will benefit me at the track which I go to every 1-2 months.. Is this true ?

Lastly, is it also true that a 45% sidewall is improvement in rain opposed to 40% or was this another myth?

Thanks, Mike.

I have seen a FN2 on 17in wheels.

IMO they look too small on the car, almost like its under wheeled if that makes any sense.

I have seen a FN2 on 17in wheels.

IMO they look too small on the car, almost like its under wheeled if that makes any sense.

Fair enough, yeah I had that feeling too but... bloody hell you can't get Volk CE28 or even rota fighters in 18" with the right specs+color mix.. but with 17" theres so many options :(

If its a colour issue, a decent bodyshop would surely be able to mix any colour you'd want.

Revmonkey was running 17s on his FN2 for a while, they looked great. I've always preferred the look of big tyres rather than a big wheel and stretched tyre, looks a lot more purposeful and racecar. I say take a chance on them, firstly because CE28s are awesome, and secondly it's not like you're going to lose money if you sell them.

The 17s should be lighter, reducing unsprung weight should make a positive difference.

Revmonkey was running 17s on his FN2 for a while, they looked great. I've always preferred the look of big tyres rather than a big wheel and stretched tyre, looks a lot more purposeful and racecar. I say take a chance on them, firstly because CE28s are awesome, and secondly it's not like you're going to lose money if you sell them.

The 17s should be lighter, reducing unsprung weight should make a positive difference.

You've convinced me ! Only thing worrying me now is that I might have to lower my car even more.. considering I am going down an inch in diameter.. although my sidewall is an increase by 5%..

Go for a bigger tyre instead of lowering. Use a tyre size calculator like willtheyfit.com to get the correct profile to keep the rolling circumference the same. A bigger sidewall should make the ride a bit more comfortable and, assuming you fit good quality tyres with stiff sidewalls, shouldn't affect the handling.

That size of 17s will actually raise the car by 3mm. Diameter of 225/40 18s is 637mm and 643mm on 235/45 17s.

Back