• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

1st Gear Occasional crunch / Clunk

Hi Guys

Every now and then when coming to a junction going into first gear I hear a slight clunk / crunching sound. It only happens every now and then, and there are no other problems with the gearbox. cars an 04 on 53k miles.

Any ideas?

Wayne

mine does a mild grinding noise when going into 2nd, it helps if you let the stick go into neutral then from there change the gear, this seems to work for me anyway, its worth a shot

my car is also an 04 on 53k

Believe your experiencing the naff sync mesh. Think on 1st and 2nd the an extra mesh and sometimes the car struggles with it and high RPM. Saying that recently I changed my gearbox fluid and it's much better

it seems to be a lot more noticable on mine since i recently had a new clutch fitted, i was told they put new gearbox oil in when they do the clutch so i dont think just changing that would make any difference at all

from what ive read on other threads about this problem your best to just live with it unless the gears are actualy popping out because people have spent a lot of money trying to fix one problem and then ending up with another

Back