• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FD2 1st Month's Anniversary

A month with the FD2 under the belt and here’s my initial thoughts.

Terms of reference are the cars I’ve owned or lived with since my car odyssey began some 20 years ago.
  • 1992 Civic EG Lsi
  • 1995 Civic EG Vti
  • 1998 DC2
  • 2002 S2k
  • 2004 Impreza Sti
  • 2005 EP3
So to the FD2 and the much talked and discussed about hard suspension. Yes it’s firm compared to DC2/EP3 and S2k although the S2k does approximate it. However , the FD2 setup is firm only to inspire confidence and not inflict discomfort. The acid test is that there are no complaints from my 4 year old daughter and EP3 driver wife :D

Whereas the S2k's wagging tail antic handling keeps a nervous energy in the cockpit , the FD2 oozes confidence to drive harder and faster and keep on pushing. The handling betters that of the DC2 which is high praise indeed. I unfortunately cannot comment on the DC5 comparison.

Acceleration noses ahead of the EP3 but I would not like to live on the difference with the S2k , it would be that close. Point to point though the FD2 is devastating compared to the S2k but that’s mostly due to the fact that the S2k unfortunately does not have a Type R insignia.

Fuel economy – 30mpg driven mostly at motorway speeds of 80mph+ so matches both EP3 and S2k

Equipment levels – only the stuff that matters – hydraulic PS , heli diff , bucket seats and aircon. No need or desire for anything else…….well maybe a Momo steering wheel

Practicality – versus and S2k and EP3 ? :lol: it’s a limo and much bigger than an RB320. Rear folding seats possibly a wish but not even on my radar.

Downsides ? Integrated spots up front as standard would be nice. I don’t particularly want to go hacking away cutting holes in the bumper for the aftermarket set :eek:

In summary , I’m not jumping back into the S2k or grabbing the keys of the EP3. The Fd2 is possibly still in honeymoon mode but at this point in time there’s no end in sight ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops

Eh , enjoying the FD2 too much completely slipped my mind :D

Pics taken this afternoon in semi sunshine. I've looked after the car now for 4 months approx. The car , a mint and cherished by the previous owner , Tom H. Sound guy :cool: Bits added include some decals to the chin spoiler and side , below indicators , rear CIVIC badge red (which because it's lighter than rear tail light looks kinda pink so it may soon fall off ) , mudflaps ( modified FN2 flaps ) , Honda dust caps. Inside include the addition of a Parrot hands free , Type R front seat protectors and red gear gaiter and a couple of transparent poly pro mats to protect the R mats without hiding their appearance.

The good thing about decals I find is that they are cheap and easily removed when a change is required ;)

photo.JPGphoto[1].JPGphoto 3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks guys.

My wife tells me lay off the decals now or else my pride and joy will end up looking like an Indian taxi :D

sweet review :) never driven/ owned an ek9? would have love to hear a comparison. I've never really liked any of the modern hondas except the FD2 and the CRZ (cool wee things)

Great summary there, very interesting to read.

how do you feel about the car now that you have had it much longer?

Great idea - an update to date comparison ;)

Nearly a year with the FD2 which I use as a daily driver. It gets a detail once a week and sometimes twice. The CW colour is superb to keep clean compared to the black of the EP3 and S2k.

I’ve somewhat mothballed the S2k and have taken it out about 5 times over the last year. That’s how good the FD2 is :) Although , getting into the S2k I never seem to want to get out and back to the FD2. Each car has it’s appeal in a different way kinda like a wife and a mistress or a comfortable pair of shoes and a pair of runners.

The FD2 is razor sharp compared to the S2k. A racer (as are all Type Rs) but can change direction like a wasp and is as direct as a scalpel. The FD2 works with you and compensates for lack of driving skill whereas the S2k you know is just sitting back waiting for you to make a mistake and then it’ll kick you.

Point to point , the FD2 has the legs and handling while the S2k takes you closer to the perceived edge (lower , twitchier and with the top down definitely more exposed)

I do consider myself hugely lucky that whichever car I’m in I enjoy and respect the experience , never wanting to escape to the other. To throw real confusion into the mix , when I get the keys of my wife’s EP3 , I realise it’s benefits too. The EP3’s gearchange is slicker , suspension of course softer but still very responsive. It doesn’t have the LSD of course but still a legend and well deserving of the R badge.

To summarise then :-

FD2 – A legend. Rapid fast and the best handler , most practical , great durable CW colour , great interior but could lose the steering wheel for the Momo version in the EP3. The ultimate R ? I reckon , just about.

S2000 – A classic. A toy. A scary toy. Smile on your face motoring and open to the elements. Eats rear rubber though (8k miles at best) Slippy road conditions ? Then you’re better off walking J

EP3 – no LSD which is a big omission. Softer suspension but not disadvantaged. Pleasure to drive and a classic.

My preference ? Well by a narrow margin , the FD2. Well at least until I can source an NSX-R. Then the stable will be complete J

Back