• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2" or 2.5" pipe ?

Am going to get a custom exhaust made up for my civic type r but don't know if I should be going for 2" or 2.5" pipe?

Am looking for it to be nice and loud so thinking of having no silencer just backbox.

What do you think?

If you want loud then something similar to what I have would work, 3.5" decat back with only 1 silencer and back box. That gives you about 130Db in Vtec.

To be honest though I am looking at changing down to a 2.5" pipe as it scrapes on everything and there is such a thing as too loud sometimes :) 2.5" should give you a good sound IMO

Am getting a new backbox going for a jap style one so if I go for a 2.5" pipe from the cat back with no silencer and the jap style backbox it should be nice and loud?

Or do you think I should have a silencer as well as the backbox?

Looking for a nice deep note off it!

If you don't have a silencer it will be very loud, if you go for one with a silencer it should still be a nice deep sound but not so loud that you risk being pulled etc

Think am gona go for unsilienced want it loud if its to loud a can alwas get a siliencer fitted.

Its gona be loud so if I get an induction kit fitted also do you think you would hear it or would it just be the exhaust ?

depends on the setup but if you get a jap exhaust with an unsilenced pipe i would expect to be pulled over by the police a lot and doubt you'd hear the induction kit much

A standard system with an unsilenced 2.5" pipe hitting vtec hits about 95 db so wouldn't like to imagine how loud it would be with a jap exhaust.

My custom cat back from JP exhausts was deliberately fabricated to be quiet yet flow gases effectively.

I'm now able to run 500BHP and its 93 dB at 6K RPM with only a 63MM (2.5") pipe. You couldn't make much more induction noise than me - its just a 3 " aluminium tube with a K&N cone filter held on with a jubilee clip!

Rick at JP can make any style of back box/tail pipes - mine looks a bit like an N1 except I can open it up an re-pack it if required. He could have made it in 3", but its not required and would just be more likely to hang low/knock underneath the car. He can also make it as loud as you like, but o come back on them when the Police/MOT/Scrutineers have a benny.

Seano

I'm guessing you don't do many miles every day as you will love it for about a month before you will want to change it. I've got a spoon back box and supersprint mid pipe silenced and thats more than enough.

I have an unsilenced 2.5" B Pipe with OEM backbox, sounds great.

I have some vids in the members cars section.

Back