• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2 things! Noise from gearbox / clutch? and petrol gauge not moving.

Hello to everyone here! this forum seems like a great little community so I signed up shortly after purchasing an EP3 CTR of which I absolutely love and will cherish for a while.

However...

My EP3 CTR is an 05 version and has began making a strange noise while decelerating. This sound is mainly audible in 2nd gear and is like a very light grinding noise. There is no judder or crunching while this is happening, everything seems nice and smooth its just the sound coming from below the car. If I activate the clutch the sound goes away. This doesn't seem like a common problem as I have only found one other owner with this problem on another forum and he didn't get a definitive answer from anybody.

I am having a Spoon N1 and center pipe fitted soon so I'd rather try and get an understanding of what this could possibly be before the car goes in for any work done. Anybody here understand what it could be?

My 2nd problem is the fuel gauge has suddenly stopped working. I have no idea how much fuel I have in my car at all so I'm being a very good boy The gauge goes up when I add fuel to the car but once the needle drops back down as fuel is used from the car the needle won't move past 1/3 of the way up and sticks there. I ran a dial diagnostic and all the dials move as they should. The needle goes all the way from the bottom to the top and back down so the actual gauge is working just fine. Ideas?

Both of these problems did not begin at the same time. The transmission noise came first and has been there for 2 weeks now and the petrol gauge has only been dodgy for 5days.

Thanking everyone in advanced for any information they can provide! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright mate. The gearbox noise you have, if you put your foot on the clutch an it goes away but comes back when you release the pedal it's most likely the release bearing. Mine has this exact noise aswell. Gearbox works perfectly with no problems at all other than his annoying whirring kind of sound. I'm looking into having a new release bearing fitted soon. As for the fuel gauge problem I'm afraid I'm no help with that sort of thing.

My EP3 CTR is an 05 version and has began making a strange noise while decelerating. This sound is mainly audible in 2nd gear and is like a very light grinding noise. There is no judder or crunching while this is happening, everything seems nice and smooth its just the sound coming from below the car. If I activate the clutch the sound goes away. This doesn't seem like a common problem as I have only found one other owner with this problem on another forum and he didn't get a definitive answer from anybody.

It may just be heat shield rattles that you can here when changing down. Worth checking.

It's definitely not heat shield rattles as I have the same noise and you can hear it's coming from inside the gearbox. I've had the heat shield rattles on my last ep3 and it sounds different to this. Mine is definitely the release bearing as when I put my foot on the clutch it goes away. I'm not saying that other things aren't making noises aswel though so don't just take my word on it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. At least I know I'm not the only one here with this problem. Kirby, Any idea on how much it would cost to have the bearing work done?

My heat shield has been removed today when I got my N1 and center pipe fitted... which sounds absolutely insane :D. The light grinding / rattling sound remains so it's definitely not a heat shield issue.

As for the oil change, this is a good quick idea. Kirby may have already tried this though. I'll definitely give it a try however.

I've just changed the gearbox oil at the weekend and sadly it hasn't made any difference. I've had a rough quote from my friend who owns his own garage and he said roughly £200 to change the bearing as it's a gearbox out job so it's the labour time that costs. Think I've seen the bearing for about £50. I'm gonna probably get it done when funds allow as I'm trying too get a full poly bush kit asap and have wanted that done for a while now.

Back