• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2000 rpm buzz from the engine

Good morning all.

I have noticed a buzz coming from the engine area on my 02 Civic Type R and wondered if you could suggest a few things it might be.

There is no grinding noise just this high pitch buzz from 2000 rpm upwards. It will buzz in gear or in neutral, as long as the engine is running higher then 2000 rpm. It was a very wet day yesterday so could one of the belts got wet or something silly like this?

Do you think its gearbox related? :(

Thanks
Neil

Try the I-vtec cover, then manifold heatshield or driveshaft heat shield.

Thank you. Do it doesn't sound like a metallic rattle you would expect from a heat shield, not more like a wet belt buzzing noise....... You reckon it's still work taking these other shields off?

Neil

My heat shield was loose on my old civic ep3 and made a horrendous noise. Always worth checking mate!

Thank you. Do it doesn't sound like a metallic rattle you would expect from a heat shield, not more like a wet belt buzzing noise....... You reckon it's still work taking these other shields off?

Neil

The ivtec cover is plastic and a likely culprit.

I fixed a 2000rpm buzz in mine at the weekend.
Turned out the PIA to fit bracket on the PiperX actually serves a purpose...

I had the exact same whistle as you're describing as long as the car was above 2,500 rpm it made this feint drilling/hissing noise.

Check the driveshaft cover - I had this very recently, my mate at Honda tightened it for free; problem all gone.

Although long-term solution will be to replace all 3/4 washers and bolts - and if required a new driveshaft cover, which I will do eventually.

Back