• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2004 COSMIC GREY EP3. MAJOR OIL LEAK?!!!!???!!?? PLEASE HELP!!! :'(

Where do I start?....
Drove to scotland bank holiday, approx. 370 miles, got there no probs what so ever.
On the return journey had covered around 150 miles and the oil light came on.
I stopped almost straight away and topped up 1 litre, the light stayed off, and I drove the next 150 miles at speeds between 60 mph and 80 mph.

As I came off the M6 on to the A14, the car started to make what I can only describe as a chattering / scraping sound? Sounded like an undertray was dragging?
If I slowed down it was worse (on and off), if I accelerated it stopped?

About 60 miles from home the oil light started to flicker on and off, but only when going round roundabouts?

There where no problems with gear change, all smooth. Also no apparent problem with engine?

I drove those last 50 miles home at 40 mph.... when I got the car on the drive and looked underneath, the whole underside was covered in oil?!

I topped her up with another half litre before going to bed, checked the oil approx. 6 hours later and the dipstick showed it was empty?!?
If you look inside where the oil filler cap is, you can clearly see there is oil?

There is oil all over the O/S underside, in the O/S/F alloy and wheel arch.... the majority of oil is definitely on the O/S underside of the car....
.... and all over the rear end! :s
Of course there is oil all over the bottom of the sump and gearbox too, I know the car needs to be cleaned in order to find the leak / problem.

The car is being taken away tomorrow to be stripped down etc and hopefully be repaired.

Any ideas peeps? Just want to try and get some idea as to what the f**k has happened???!! I look after my ctr religously, check the oil on a regular basis and all other fluids. I love this car and am gutted this has happend... :'(

Any help is greatly appreciated!! The car has covered approx. 73k, and have had the car a year. Have covered approx. 10k in this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be something simple like the cam chain cover has come loose. It could be that is what you heard scraping if it fell down and was making contact with a driveshaft or just flapping about. That cover is on the side to the o/s of your engine, where the cam chain is. I've had a pin hole leak on the cover in the past and it covered the entire side of my engine, driveshaft and suspension with oil.

Keep us updated with what the outcome is. To be honest, I would have pulled over and got towed or recovered as soon as the oil light started to come on.

Fingers crossed though fella.

#2 on this pic:
E__1110.jpg

Could be anything, from the area you've described it could be coming from the filter area. Could have worked it's way loose.

Either way, hope it's not too expensive to sort. Keep us posted.

like the others have said it could be something to do with the filter maybe a small crack in it ive had experince of filters cracking not on cars though,
hope its an easy fix for you mate

Baffled you carried on driving with the oil light on..... Sounds like filter/oil cooler to me.

Baffled you carried on driving with the oil light on..... Sounds like filter/oil cooler to me.

I didn't carry on driving witht he light on, it went off aftwer I topped up. It started to flicker when I drove around roundabouts. The engine and gearbox where both fine.
Am thinking it's the rear cam gasket?.....
Will find out tomorrow and let you all know. Thanks for the posts, hopefully not too expensive a fix! :)

Sounds good! ;)

Car taken away last night on transporter, started fine, sounds fine.... will know this afternoon whats what....

Just to let you all know..... THE CAR IS FINE!!! :D
Turned out to be a rotten oil filter?! Looks like the previous owner didn't replace it like he said on its last service!! T****R!

Anyway, am soooooooooo releived it's not damaged anything. Am having the 75k service done now whilst it's in the shop.

Thanks again for info you guys gave me :)

WE HAVE A WINNER!!

Yep! Scruffy called it first!! ;)

and ya win....... a VERY HAPPY FACE!!! ;D

Cant wait to go for a drive !! ;)

Back